• Register Today It's free!

evap core

Lil Joe

Reaction score
City, State
southwest Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
2000 Explorer 5.0 V-8 I need to replace evap core. I will have right fender off for repairs Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would get a new accumulator dryer, O-rings, and orifice and you will have to evacuate the refrigerant so you will need vacuum pump and A/C hoses for recharge. The evaporator is not so bad as I remember, you have to remove the accumulator, move the washer fluid and coolant reservoirs out of the way, then get to all of the bolts/nuts holding the blower housing and evaporator housing to the firewall. Once you get it out, you have to remove some insulation and a dozen or so screws to get to the evaporator. Save all of the little parts that secure the insulation and hold evaporator housing together. There probably are some youtube videos if you search. Good luck.

Yep, evap core not that difficult. 3 fasteners under hood and very bottom one in passenger's floor board area and the whole housing comes free.

Move cruise control module, windshield washer and coolant reservoir.

As noted, you'll want to replace a/c accumulator. Best to wait until just about ready to vacuum the system to install. Keep moisture away from the drier pack in accumulator.

Back