Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement

Russell Bennett

Reaction score
City, State
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012, Explorer & Limited
Good Day Folks

My 2012 Explorer Limited 3.5L V6 has started to stall in the last 7 days when idling. It also nearly stalls under heavy braking and complete stop. When it stalls 'Low Oil Pressure' warning message appears.

The oil level and condition is fine.

I was going to start by eliminating possible causes, first being replacing 'Oil Pressure sensor'.

I located this last night tucked above the oil filter and A/C Compressor.

Could not see a way to change without removing A/C compressor, seems bit extreme for such a usually easy job.

Any advise from you good folk who have changed the Oil Pressure Sensor in the Past on a 2012 Explorer.

Thank you

Regards

Russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 XLT - Tried searching the forum and can't find much.

Need to replace my oil pressure sensor. Does anyone have experience with this? I looked at the diagrams on this site and I think I found the location, but before I break out the tools I would like to know if anyone has had issues or difficulties in changing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Good luck with the repair.

Peter

2012 XLT - Tried searching the forum and can't find much.

Need to replace my oil pressure sensor. Does anyone have experience with this? I looked at the diagrams on this site and I think I found the location, but before I break out the tools I would like to know if anyone has had issues or difficulties in changing. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am about to attempt this myself...were you successful? Any advice you can share?

Good Day Folks

My 2012 Explorer Limited 3.5L V6 has started to stall in the last 7 days when idling. It also nearly stalls under heavy braking and complete stop. When it stalls 'Low Oil Pressure' warning message appears.

The oil level and condition is fine.

I was going to start by eliminating possible causes, first being replacing 'Oil Pressure sensor'.

I located this last night tucked above the oil filter and A/C Compressor.

Could not see a way to change without removing A/C compressor, seems bit extreme for such a usually easy job.

Any advise from you good folk who have changed the Oil Pressure Sensor in the Past on a 2012 Explorer.

Thank you

Regards

Russ

Russ...Were you able to complete this? I was just under my Explorer trying to figure out how to replace the sensor, and feel there has to be an easier way then to remove the AC Compressor...After an hour of looking up from under my explorer I figured it was time to hit the internet. Any advice?

I figured I would give an update on the thread as I completed the install yesterday. I searched the forum and other internet resources and didn’t find a good guide to replacing my the oil pressure sensor. It was pretty straightforward, once you come to the realization that you are going to have to attack it from the top. This took a while for me.

• Remove the air box and air cleaner assembly
  • Remove the 2 bolts holding in the radiator fan
  • Remove all the awesome plastic clips holding the wiring harnesses to the radiator fan
  • Remove the electrical plug on the radiator fan and pull it out.
  • Bungee the wiring harness and coolant hose toward the windshield, otherwise you will fight them as you move forward.
  • Shrink your hand and squeeze it next to the alternator and remove the clip from the oil pressure sensor
  • Hire a contortionist to get a ratchet with a 21mm or 13/16th socket on the sensor and back it out. (Oil will leak out so have a pan in place under the a/c compressor)
  • Put the new sensor in and reverse the steps above.
Don’t forget to tip the contortionist!

I know this was a year ago but did anyone else complete this job and if so was there any easier way? How long did it take you would you say Tadams19? I am hoping this is the issue I am having. My light came on yesterday, I changed the oil and filter but it still comes on, if I accelerate it goes off but then a few seconds later it comes on. I am assuming it is either the pump or the sensor but I have no clue and the Sensor seems like the least expensive fix to try first.

Don

I figured I would give an update on the thread as I completed the install yesterday. I searched the forum and other internet resources and didn’t find a good guide to replacing my the oil pressure sensor. It was pretty straightforward, once you come to the realization that you are going to have to attack it from the top. This took a while for me.

• Remove all the awesome plastic clips holding the wiring harnesses to the radiator fan
  • Bungee the wiring harness and coolant hose toward the windshield, otherwise you will fight them as you move forward.
  • Shrink your hand and squeeze it next to the alternator and remove the clip from the oil pressure sensor
  • Hire a contortionist to get a ratchet with a 21mm or 13/16th socket on the sensor and back it out. (Oil will leak out so have a pan in place under the a/c compressor)

Still driving that 2011 eh Don? FYI, tadams19 was last active here almost a year ago when he made that post.

Peter

Still driving that 2011 eh Don? FYI, tadams19 was last active here almost a year ago when he made that post.

Peter
Hey Peter, yeah I might as well now, it would not be worth more than 1k to trade in and it drives great, I have about 190k kms on it now and the only large issue was that damn PTU. Well, that and the paint that started bubbling 1600km's after the warranty ended:( I keep it in great shape so I figure I may as well drive it until it dies someday as long as it does not start costing me too much to maintain it. How are you liking your new 2017?

Haven't had to change that sensor yet, so can't offer anything on if the above explanation is gtg. Did you call a dealer or local indy shop and ask what they would charge to change the sensor for you?

Did you check to see if the vehicle had any codes? Have you had your oil pressure checked manually to verify actual oil pressure?

Oil pressure issues can be caused by more than just pump and pressure sensor. Could be bearings. Could be a leaky vvt solenoid. Could be oil/filter related.

Good luck and hopefully it's just a failed sensor.

Haven't had to change that sensor yet, so can't offer anything on if the above explanation is gtg. Did you call a dealer or local indy shop and ask what they would charge to change the sensor for you?

Did you check to see if the vehicle had any codes? Have you had your oil pressure checked manually to verify actual oil pressure?

Oil pressure issues can be caused by more than just pump and pressure sensor. Could be bearings. Could be a leaky vvt solenoid. Could be oil/filter related.

Thank you for all of that info, I am having it looked at tomorrow so hopefully, the mechanic will check all the options.

There were no codes, the light just comes on and goes off. I will have to have the oil pressure checked, I was just hoping it is the easy fix, I had no issues until yesterday on my way to work when at the end of my trip it came on. After work I had forgotten about it and I drove home and again at the end of my 30km driver it came on. I went and had the oil changed and they did not see anything, however, after they changed the oil the light came on and off more often on my way home so I took my wife's car to work today, I don't want to hurt it anymore then I might have already.

This was very helpful.....I was trying to figure out the best approach....went with this and had the sensor changed in about 2 hours. I thought it'd take a lot longer.

My problem was oil started leaking straight through the sensor?? It was quite the leak.....just streaming through it like it was supposed to happen.

I had done an oil change last week....maybe I slightly overfilled...but I don't think so.

Double/triple checked my oil level now....it's good. Hopefully this was a fluke and won't happen again....but annoying.

This was very helpful.....I was trying to figure out the best approach....went with this and had the sensor changed in about 2 hours. I thought it'd take a lot longer.

My problem was oil started leaking straight through the sensor?? It was quite the leak.....just streaming through it like it was supposed to happen.

I had done an oil change last week....maybe I slightly overfilled...but I don't think so.

Double/triple checked my oil level now....it's good. Hopefully this was a fluke and won't happen again....but annoying.
Hi, I'm new here, and having the issue with the low engine oil pressure when stopping at a light, it comes on briefly and goes off. I'm just curious if that sensor fixed your problem

Hi, I'm new here, and having the issue with the low engine oil pressure when stopping at a light, it comes on briefly and goes off. I'm just curious if that sensor fixed your problem
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

This thread really over-hypes how bad this job is. I had my oil pressure sender fail today on the way home and replaced it this evening after picking up a new one from the parts place. It took literally 20 minutes to replace the sender, I didn't remove anything other than the sender its self, and I didnt use any special tools. A deep 13/16 socket, a short extension, a swivel and a ratchet got me right where i needed to be from above.. Unwind the old one, wind in the new one, piece of cake. For what it's worth, you can see it from underneath, but can't reach it. You can reach it from above but can't see it. I did put the car on ramps to get a look at what was going on, but took it back down and worked blind from above to do the actual work.

51302278375_8596818c4c_z.jpg

51301265936_e2c5d289dc_z.jpg

51301265991_069f1fb2d0_z.jpg

This thread really over-hypes how bad this job is. I had my oil pressure sender fail today on the way home and replaced it this evening after picking up a new one from the parts place. It took literally 20 minutes to replace the sender, I didn't remove anything other than the sender its self, and I didnt use any special tools. A deep 13/16 socket, a short extension, a swivel and a ratchet got me right where i needed to be from above.. Unwind the old one, wind in the new one, piece of cake. For what it's worth, you can see it from underneath, but can't reach it. You can reach it from above but can't see it. I did put the car on ramps to get a look at what was going on, but took it back down and worked blind from above to do the actual work.

View attachment 340327

View attachment 340328

View attachment 340329
Did yours go with no warning? Mine just did.

My 2011 with almost 280k miles had been giving me low oil pressure warnings after it warmed up at RPMs under 1000 for the past week or so. I just changed the sensor this morning, took all of 10 minutes. 21MM Deep socket, extension, swivel, just like imheretoparty described. I did mine from underneath, front end up on jackstands. Apparently it had started leaking since the last oil change, the bottom of the AC Compressor was wet with engine oil. I do my own oil changes and give the lower engine a look over while down there. One note, be quick with taking the old out and putting the new in, as there is some oil leakage. Trip into town and back, no warnings. Now to figure out Forscan to disable my TPMS!!

Im about to perform this surgery later. Wish me luck. And thanks for the tips tadams19!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back