Upgrading Front Seats to Heated

XLTrunner

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4.0SOHC
So, I'm at the local U Pull yard and a '96 Limited shows up with mint leather seats. Seeing how I'm bored with the mundane light tan interior and cloth seats in my '98, I'm thinking these would really liven things up inside. So, they came home with me and now I'm wondering what it would take to add the aftermarket heating pads to them (leather seats get awfully cold in the winter here in MN). Anyone have any experience with this? Would they require being wired on a separate circuit from the fuse box...and, just how would I go about that (electrical isn't my strong point)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Separate circuit may be easier since "electrical isn't (your) strong point".

It starts with which heating pads you pick and what comes with them. They could have a timer to shut themselves off after some period of time but if not (or possibly either way), I'd want them to not be able to run when the vehicle isn't running (or at least key in the accessory position) as that's a significant draw on the battery.

I'd pick a circuit that's only live with key in run or accessory position, run that to the coil of a relay rated above the current of the heater element (at 14.4V, not just 12V), run the other pin of the relay coil to a switch, and run the other contact of the switch to a chassis (ground) point.

Next run whatever wire comes with the heating elements, or if you have to add your own consider what current it needs to carry to pick a suitable wire gauge (or lower). I'd guess you could run two seat heaters at 20 amps or less so you could get away with using 12ga or lower wire.

Run that from the battery with a fuse at the battery (fuse value calculated as done with the wiring to be just a bit above what amps current you expect the two heaters to draw, and a relay rated for more margin, say 30A DC), to the relay power pin. Run the other relay power pin to the heating element, then the other heating element contact to chassis ground.

I would make sure the wire is copper, not that copper clad aluminum junk common today on Amazon, ebay, etc (or else use an even lower gauge to make up for that) and would not use a generic Chinesium grade relay, sticking to a major brand instead.

That wire running from the battery will split to a duplicate of what is described above for the 2nd relay and switch for the 2nd heating element unless you only want one control to turn both on and off simultaneously.

Where to put the switch? I suppose you might be able to put it on the side of the seat where the controls are there, whether you use a switch included with a kit or have to buy a different one for size or looks or whatever. Current rating won't matter for the switch since it is only switching the tiny amount of current the relay coil uses, so it can be small and inexpensive.

You could do it without a relay and just use a larger more expensive switch, but significant DC current is hard on switches, you're better off with a relay.

Thanks for the in-depth information. Guess my next step is to decide on a heating pad setup and then utilize this info to lay out a plan of attack. Would be nice to have adjustable temp control for each seat like on my daughter's Ford Edge.

^ If you mean temperature setting through an infotainment center screen, that does not seem cost effective to me for a '98 with a SOHC engine since it would need a head unit and could wind up costing as much as the vehicle is worth. ;)

There are other ways to decrease the power going through a resistive heating element but unless you buy it ready made, it would be a bit of a learning curve to design a custom circuit for whichever heaters you bu y. Basically the simplest solution would be a potentiometer biasing a transistor that flows more current as the pot knob is turned but this would be a non-feedback setup.

If you want feedback, there are temperature sensing relay controller boards on ebay, with a thermal sensor you can mount where you want it, but the size is far more than would fit in a seat side panel, would need to be viewed to be used, and I don't know if they have non-volatile memory that remembers what you set them to do if power is lost as it would need to be to keep the battery from draining.

Anyway here are some examples:
temperature relay | eBay

Edit: Keep in mind some of these examples may not have a relay with enough current capacity. I saw some with only 10A relays built in and that's "probably" borderline if not inadequate for two seats' heater panels.

I see what you mean with the controller boards. Don't want to turn this into a major project. Simple ON/OFF switch is probably the way to go. Thanks, again!

Most seat kits come with a high/low/off switch.

Others have installed heating pads and switches to their 2nd gen Explorers. The one that comes to mind first, is a 2003ish Ranger with a 302, and he added EATC, auto down and up circuits to both windows, plus seat heaters. He placed the two switches in the console, just under the radio bezel.

Back