Anybody have any Good Interior Mods? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody have any Good Interior Mods?

DiGiornoRisingCrust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'm not a fan of the avalanche of tan in my EB's interior, and I was wondering if anybody has painted trim pieces different colors? I was wondering if painting the trim piece with the shifter and front 2 cupholders in it black would look good, but I couldn't find any gloss black paint. Maybe vinyl wrapping it would work? I'd also have to paint or wrap the small piece of plastic in between the wood dash trim and the trim piece with the shifter and cupholders, but that might be hard given the number of buttons on that piece.

Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've not done it to mine, but with interior plastics I'd recommend a vinyl wrap before painting. Wrapping will almost always have a cleaner look, and last just as long as any spray paint. And it's much more easily removable if you ever want to sell it and want it stock.

Also, that piece is black if you had a black interior, so you could find one out of another truck and just swap in that trim piece.

That one piece in black would stick out like a sore thumb. How long have you had the Ex? I wasn't thrilled with the tan when I bought mine used but it checked off all the other boxes so I bought it. I'm still not a big fan - but it's grown on me over the past 11 years. If you just bought it then give it some time.

all of my interior chrome and fake looking black carbon fiber stuff has been covered in 4d carbon wrap

I have painted interior pieces and I have done vinyl wrap. The painting can chip off over time so parts of the doors and what not would wear quickly. I used 3M Carbon fiber wrap off amazon on a car's interior pieces and it made the car look 100x better. The best part if I decide I don't like it I can just peel it all off and no harm done.

I have painted the fake chrome side are vents a metallic red that came out great. I just painted the center bezel piece but it came out dark maroon despite the paint being metallic red. It still looks good though. I have thought about using the fabric paint because i hate the tan myself.

my chrome interior trim especially around the cluster has the worst glare / reflection onto my windshield.

could always try 'flocking'

In my opinion, the best bang-for-the-buck interior mod is the Flex Shifter Installation. The parts cost a bit more now than when I first did this mod, but it's still well worth the money.

my best interior mod is now the XLT leather seats I swapped in for my cloth and in turn added a power seat to the passenger side pretty good use of $90

ov7gh5mdzoi0.jpg

I'm not a fan of the avalanche of tan in my EB's interior, and I was wondering if anybody has painted trim pieces different colors? I was wondering if painting the trim piece with the shifter and front 2 cupholders in it black would look good, but I couldn't find any gloss black paint. Maybe vinyl wrapping it would work? I'd also have to paint or wrap the small piece of plastic in between the wood dash trim and the trim piece with the shifter and cupholders, but that might be hard given the number of buttons on that piece.

Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks!
I painted vent trim peices, shifter trim piece and the center bevel so far

20190601_154931.jpg

20190601_154922.jpg

20190601_154917.jpg

20190601_154848.jpg

20190601_154912.jpg

Back