Big transmission oil leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big transmission oil leak

ovrlndr

Reaction score
City, State
NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi, so I parked in the garage to start on some maintenance jobs, and came in to this mess.
The pan was wet when I bought it, but AFAIK it wasn't a massive leak.
I have front main leak so its wet at the front from that probably, and all the oil on the floor is ATF.

Hoping it's just the pan gasket.
Any thoughts?

20190602_165141.jpg
20190602_165410.jpg
20190602_165309.jpg
20190602_165255.jpg
20190602_165250.jpg
20190602_165245.jpg
20190602_165218.jpg
20190602_165141.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be real tempted to do a pan gasket and filter. Looks like that's the most likely source at this point.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too since the oil is on all the bolts.

Wouldn't hurt to run a can of flush through the lines & cooler while you're at it. The cooler on my 2nd gen was plugged solid, needless to say it now has a new trans.

That transmission oil pan looks really rusty. It might be a good idea to install a new one just in case the rust eats all the way through.

Actually that's a good call, so I ordered a Dorman 265-831 Transmission Pan with the drain plug.

Since we're making the list of chores longer & more expensive, you might as well put a trans temp sensor in the new pan. Those Dorman pans are actually a pretty good deal.

Add to your list...

Check the hard lines on the side. Make sure they are tight.

Check the fluid levels.

Check the vent line on top.

Check that the dipstick tube is seated all the way, and is bolted tight.

And adjust the bands?
Holy can of worms.

Can of worms indeed, thanks fellas LOL :)

TBH know the previous owner replaced the rad and he left the trans line connectors on the rad loose, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are more nasties for me to find with it.

Back