Hesitation during acceleration | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hesitation during acceleration

Could try it in all the different modes, but the point of that is that's its ruling out the TMS and/or traction control, from what I understand.

Does the same thing happen in Sport mode?

I don’t have sport mode. It stumbles in normal and snow mode but seems to be fine in sand and mud mode.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don’t have sport mode. It stumbles in normal and snow mode but seems to be fine in sand and mud mode.
Manual mode then? Same thing.

Normal and snow both have traction control on by default. So might be something going on there.

Manual mode then? Same thing.

Normal and snow both have traction control on by default. So might be something going on there.

Ok thanks. Is there a sensor that might be faulty?

All this sounds like a bad or failing TPS to me, if it´s all been checked TPS is an elusive *****. It comes with the throttle body, not expensive (about $55 with gasket and shipping), I would probably clean the throttle body first then replace it if that doesn´t work.

All this sounds like a bad or failing TPS to me, if it´s all been checked TPS is an elusive *****. It comes with the throttle body, not expensive (about $55 with gasket and shipping), I would probably clean the throttle body first then replace it if that doesn´t work.

Where did you find it for $55? I see some for over $200. What’s the difference with those? Can you buy the sensor separate or does it always come with the throttle body? . Thanks.

What’s the difference with the ones that are more expensive? Over $200?
:dunno: no clue. Order it with your Vin # and you can be sure is the one for your truck.

And would this set off a check engine light?

Throttle position sensors are basically potentiometers, they won´t go all bad, just one or more contacts at some specific region.
This is just a guess, I´m just saying what I would do. Some people would troubleshoot it, it can be done, you just have to find the people with the right equipment.

Throttle position sensors are basically potentiometers, they won´t go all bad, just one or more contacts at some specific region.
This is just a guess, I´m just saying what I would do. Some people would troubleshoot it, it can be done, you just have to find the people with the right equipment.

For that price though it’s worth a try

For that price though it’s worth a try
That´s what I think, but since there isn´t a code, there´s a chance it won´t fix the problem. If you go through with it, be sure to disconnect the battery to reset the PCM.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (AWD 3.5L Twin Turbo Eco Boost) with 116,000 miles.
My engine shutters / vibrates / pulses / loses some power sometimes only when I accelerate, and mostly only accelerating at lower speeds around 10mph-35mph +/-. It's been ongoing about a month or so.
It immediately stops vibrating if I let off the gas pedal.
The vibration is most noticeable on gas pedal, but also felt in seat, floorboard, etc.
There's a slight grunting noise.
It seems to be prevalent after the engine has warmed up.
No idle issues.
Actually accelerates great at higher speeds.
Spark plugs only had 15k miles, but I changed them with same Ford plugs to make sure and didn't fix the issue.
Took it to a local shop and they replaced a couple of the ignition coils, but that didn't help.
No check engine light.
I have fully synthetic oil changes every 5k miles.
Air filter recently replaced.
I don't see any noticeable vacuum leaks.
I cleaned the air throttle body, but wasn't that dirty and didn't help.
Tires are good.
Recent alignment.
Brakes are good.
Shop said motor mounts look fine.
I'm brining back to shop next week. They said maybe it's transmission related?
I've read maybe it could be the CV shaft or transmission torque converter.
Anyone think it's a good idea to drill the small weep hole in bottom of CAC like shown on many youtube videos? I thought about trying.

Just a thought, maybe your rear brakes are dragging

Welcome to the Forum A Jay. :wave:
Did they check to ensure the hoses on the turbos were tight? Out of balance wheels could cause vibrations but not some of the other things you mentioned.

Peter

My transmission seems to hesitate between 25 - 50 mph after it's warmed up. Anyone have experience with this. FYI the PTU/PTO was just replaced due to fluid leak.

Just a thought, maybe your rear brakes are dragging
Thank you for the thought. Rear brakes are fairly new and had them checked out and looking good..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. You may also want to check out this one; '14 Explorer engine hesitation at low RPMs

Peter
My transmission seems to hesitate between 25 - 50 mph after it's warmed up. Anyone have experience with this. FYI the PTU/PTO was just replaced due to fluid leak.
I have the same exact problem. Hesitates only at lower speeds. Only after warmed up. I had my PTU removed and filled back up last year. Please post if you figure out the hesitation issue. Ive changed my plugs and a couple coil packs and didn’t help. No check engine light so I don’t think it’s a sensor issue.. I’m leaning towards fuel injectors need replaced or maybe needs transmission flush.

Back