MPG's, Rattle, Clunk Questions.

29Rat

Reaction score
City, State
“Optional”
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, 4.0L V6, AWD

Recently installed a 101k mile 2004 engine (the explorer had a bad transmission), after the 2003's timing chain gave out at 214k, and have a few questions.

1. The car is getting poor fuel economy, started with the old motor, 14mpg highway, hand calculated. It has newer cats, but was wondering if they have 3? The exhaust kit I purchased came with the 2 right off the manifold, the Y-Pipe per say, then is there another cat in the exhaust system before the muffler? Questioning if that one is becoming plugged, I presume it's original. That's post O2 sensors, so I'd be okay to just install a straight pipe instead correct? (no emissions here)

2. There's also a strange rattling, that I cannot pinpoint. Sounds like a heat shield rattle. I'm not sure if that is new to this motor or not, I do not drive the car, it's a relative's. And they don't listen to the car, hence why the motor shut off 5 times on them, and then bent valves lol. I can only replicate it when driving, which makes pinpointing the sound near impossible. Doesn't seem like RPM or load affects it, just rattles when it pleases while driving. It's a lot more high pitched than the timing chain rattles that I have found on YouTube, so I don't believe it is timing chain rattle, and really hope it isn't with a 100k mile engine, that was very clean inside. This also makes me question if it's a bad/cracked catalytic converter that could be causing the poor fuel economy.

3. Any common things that will cause a "clucking", backing up an inclined driveway the car sometimes "clunks". I've checked balljoints, and control arm bushings look good, and just haven't had a chance to replicate it with someone else. Sometimes happens when driving forward and turning into a inclined driveway, sounds like the rear. I'd assume not CV joints, due to it happening when coasting into an inclined driveway. Figured I'd ask since I'm already here.

I'm sure I have more questions, just can't think of them at the moment. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jeez, month later and got a bit of time to work on it, finally found the rattle. Was the heat sheild on the driver's side of the transmission. Broken tab. Figured I'd post to let other people know. That's all I got, still no location of the clunk, and mpg is getting somewhat better, probably just learning the new fuel trims. About 18mpg on the interstate, in town is crappy, brings it down to like 15mpg. 50/50 mileage.

I recently gained a mpg or 2 by cleaning the MAF and the throttle body. Still have yet to run a full thank to hand clac MPG.

I had the heat shield rattle on my '96 Aerostar.
Simple removal fixed problem.
Seems some things never change!

This one is protecting some wiring and shift linkage on the transmission, 3 inches from the exhaust. I think I'll keep this heat shield haha! Just took an extra large washer over the tab that broke. No big deal. But yes, I've removed a few heat shields on catalytic converters and such on beaters with heaters.

Back