• Register Today It's free!

Custom front metal winch bumper

FarmageddonNRO

Reaction score
City, State
Anaconda MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
Lets face it, finding a winch bumper for a 4th generation explorer is no easy task, no manufacturer makes these for retail sale, and it looks like the only option is to order one from a company that makes custom stuff. I saw a thread about Sterling Equipment & Mfg in Florida. I sent them an email regarding this issue. I'll keep you guys posted. If you have had something custom made, or fabricated your own winch bumper post pics or share info. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am interested in their reply, have they said anything yet? I am currently shopping for a 4th gen Explorer and I saw that there isn't a good front recovery hook/loop available like on the previous models. I've been trying to find good picture of the Exp. with the front bumper cover removed to get a better idea of what's involved in having a steel bumper custom made. It looks like its going to take a lot of steel to fill in the front. Also there are curves and uprights around the headlights and a lot to wrap around on the sides. It's certainly do-able but it seems complicated and thus costly. My main reason for the winch bumper was for the winch mount and some shackles up front for recovery. I was thinking would it be possible to weld or bolt on a winch plate and shackles to the factory bumper crossmember and then trim the lower portion of the bumper cover to fit in the mods? The bumper crossmember is located below the lower grill opening, so the winch mounting plate would go right above that. You could even make a replacement crossmemember so you don't permanently damage the factory one in case you want to revert your mod. This seems much simpler to make instead of a full bumper when all I really want is a winch mount and shackles. I'll post up some sketches in a minute.

Here are the sketches. Is it ok to weld on the bumper or should a new crossmember be made instead? I plan to add a 2" lift and 32" tires so I think the winch will be ok height wise. What do you guys think? (The images are screenshots from YT video showing how to remove the bumper cover, disregard the front end damage.)

Screenshot_20180718-165859.jpg

Screenshot_20180718-170219.jpg

Any update on this?

I’d be leery of adding 300+ pounds to the front of a 4th gen. I also certainly wouldn’t weld the bumper on.

I gave it some thoughts so if you want a winch here's the variant that I came up with (which requires little to no modifications and no custom fab). You can use a front mount witch receiver with a receiver mount winch tray. This way you get a detachable winch which you put on every time you for an off-road trip.

Part 1
Front hitch receiver (Custom Fit for 4th Gen Exolorer)
https://www.amazon.com/Home-Plow-Me...r+front+hitch&qid=1560255854&s=gateway&sr=8-1
31InNwPb9gL.jpg

Part 2

Universal 2" hitch receiver mount wintch carrier
WARN® - Multi-Mount Winch Carrier
26370-2.jpg

What do you think guys?

The problem with front hitch/winch carriers is that they hang so low. They kill your approach angle. Definitely not suitable for leaving on.

That definitely makes sense to me

Can you flip the hitch to mount it higher?

I’d be leery of adding 300+ pounds to the front of a 4th gen. I also certainly wouldn’t weld the bumper on.

Any reason in particular? I have been thinking about custom making a bumper or attempting to modify and existing bumper for different vehicle. They seem so common place these days. Why not on the explorer? Thoughts?

Also my preference would be to bolt on a replacement front bumper.

Back