• Register Today It's free!

Died while driving

dkgroce

Reaction score
City, State
Noble
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer
We have a 2001 Explorer 4.0 that died going done the road the other day, then again at a light. At the light, it would start right up then die again. I have had the check engine light checked and they said fuel pressure and rear speed sensors. Also has and occasional hard shift.
Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the information provided, I don't see any correlation between low fuel pressure, rear speed sensor and occasional hard shift. Low fuel pressure is likely a bad fuel pump...but, could also be a partially plugged fuel filter or fuel line. Either could cause a stall condition. Speed sensor has nothing to do with how the engine runs. Hard shift could be a number of things...most of which are transmission related.

I agree. The 3 issues you report seem unrelated. If you haven't done it in awhile, I'd start with the fuel filter (Ford recommends ever 30,000 miles, but you can probably get away with every 50K). I've had to replace the fuel pumps on all of my Explorer's/Mountaineer's between 170-200K. If you have approx that many miles you're fuel pump could be dying or on it's last legs.

The fuel pressure on a 2001 should be around 65 PSI measured with a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail. Knowing your fuel pressure would tell you a lot, but you already said it was low.

Ditto, do the fuel filter first. I've had one Explorer die while running, and it was a fouled fuel filter. The speed sensor does affect transmission shifting, so track that down too, which should be the rear ABS sensor on the diff.

Ditto, do the fuel filter first. I've had one Explorer die while running, and it was a fouled fuel filter. The speed sensor does affect transmission shifting, so track that down too, which should be the rear ABS sensor on the diff.

One of the first fuel injected vehicles I owned was on an '86 Blazer 4x4 with the 4.3L. It had a fuel filter that became so clogged with crap at 60K you couldn't even blow compressed air threw it. It still ran okay, but one day I tried to pull out to pass someone and the engine just fell on it's face. Since then I've learned my lesson re fuel filters.

Back