How to drain and fill transmission on 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to drain and fill transmission on 5.0

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
For newbies like me. Thanks Fortune for suggesting the dorman pan worked like a charm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

& ALWAYS reuse the Factory Gasket or get a new Factory Gasket - ALWAYS make sure that the old Gasket on old Trans Filter is not hung up in the Main Valve Body before u install new Filter & Gasket.

Well done, those maintenance jobs are what make owning used cars much less expensive than owning newer cars.

I have a video camera I got last Winter and planned to use it for some tasks, but the 4K video format doesn't play well on my PC so far. I'd like to make videos to help people, but I need something that doesn't use 400mb/minute. I need to read the manual more for the camera.

Keep going, and get the interior back in that truck, LOL.

Keep going, and get the interior back in that truck, LOL.

Lol! Yeah I'm planning to put a extra battery back in that back cubby area and still have some wire and speakers to run then will at least put all the trim back in. Still Debating wether I want bench seat or bucket seats in the back row.

The seats if you haven't pulled them out yet, are two separate sets. They both hook into the seat belt mounting bracket on the floor. I have mine both out for work, but put the left one in rarely for someone to ride with me. It would be difficult to use the existing floor bracket(seat belt) for two equal sized seats. The left would be fairly easy, but the right space being wider you might end up with a seat having extra space to the outside. I hadn't thought about that until now.

The cleanest trick is to unhook the return line under the radiator and start the vehicle and let it idle till the flow slows down. I've done this for 30 years, it wont hurt a thing.

The Nice thing is once the flow slows, shut it off and you can dump 4-5 quarts in the tranny and do it again to push the old fluid out of the torque converter.

The seats if you haven't pulled them out yet, are two separate sets. They both hook into the seat belt mounting bracket on the floor. I have mine both out for work, but put the left one in rarely for someone to ride with me. It would be difficult to use the existing floor bracket(seat belt) for two equal sized seats. The left would be fairly easy, but the right space being wider you might end up with a seat having extra space to the outside. I hadn't thought about that until now.

Check this thread out.

How-To: Rear Bucket Seats - BIG PICS

Very nice, I hadn't seen that before. Todd is an old member who has done lots of cool things with his trucks. I;m not surprised that he did that also.

The cleanest trick is to unhook the return line under the radiator and start the vehicle and let it idle till the flow slows down. I've done this for 30 years, it wont hurt a thing.

The Nice thing is once the flow slows, shut it off and you can dump 4-5 quarts in the tranny and do it again to push the old fluid out of the torque converter.

If u have the Air to Fluid Cooler its safer to pull a Hose off the Cooler then mess with the hard fitting on Plastic Radiator - One could add a Petcock setup there.

TRANS COOLER JUMPER.jpg

If u have the Air to Fluid Cooler its safer to pull a Hose off the Cooler then mess with the hard fitting on Plastic Radiator - One could add a Petcock setup there.

View attachment 171126

I don't mess with hardline with an EX, under the radiator on the right side there is a short rubber line that is way easier to get to then the cooler lines.

On other vehicles I add a union in the return line somewhere handy and use that.

I don't mess with hardline with an EX, under the radiator on the right side there is a short rubber line that is way easier to get to then the cooler lines.

On other vehicles I add a union in the return line somewhere handy and use that.

On 2001 Mounty 5.0 w/ Tow Package that Hose goes to Air to Fluid Cooler - & IIRC Fluid TO Coolers is coming straight fm Torque Converter.

On 2001 Mounty 5.0 w/ Tow Package that Hose goes to Air to Fluid Cooler.

Right, but originally it was hardline with a short rubber line.

Back