• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer - no HD radio

jcmeyer5

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello. My wife and I just bought a 2014 Explorer Sport. it has both Navigation and the Sony sound system. I am ASSUMING this means that it is HD Radio capable, but despite tuning to stations I know to be HD, it isn't finding the HD channel, and I don't have an HD Radio button on the touch screen. So the questions are 1) Is this car HD capable (did the Sony systems also come without HD Radio), and 2) if it is, then how do I make it work?

Thanks!

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2014 Order Guide lists HD radio as standard equipment with the Sport. So although I am not familiar with the individual settings (I stream Amazon music mostly), we can at least conclude you are supposed to have it.

That’s what I saw as well. Here’s a twist. This is originally a Canadian vehicle. Not sure it matters, but there it is

That’s what I saw as well. Here’s a twist. This is originally a Canadian vehicle. Not sure it matters, but there it is
Welcome to the Forum Jim.:wave:
The radios are the same regardless of whether it is a U.S. or Canadian build.

Peter

From the 2014 brochure:
upload_2019-6-8_11-44-46.png

If you can read that, your eyes are much better than mine.:D

Peter

Sorry, the site must have modified the photo resolution to lower the file size, it’s real clear on the original.

The HD radio symbol is visible at the bottom of the brochure, trust me:)

Sorry, the site must have modified the photo resolution to lower the file size, it’s real clear on the original.

The HD radio symbol is visible at the bottom of the brochure, trust me:)
Not to worry. I read the 2014 Owner's Guide and it shows HD radio.

Peter

Okay, so I still need to figure out what to do.

Have you checked your Owner's Manual Jim? If you don't have any success, try going back to the salesperson for some assistance, assuming you bought it from a Ford dealership. This issue hasn't come up here before as far as I can recall.

Peter

I have... I didn't find anything that helped. I really wish I could get the window sticker so I would know for sure.

Read someplace to pull fuse 29 on the interior panel... then I learned you have to be a contortionist to get to the fuse panel. I think maybe just disconnect the battery as a lazy way to pull that fuse.

I did try that first. It didn’t help. I disconnected the negative terminal. Didn’t help.

Could the APIM have been replaced? I wonder if it is a setting internally that needs to be reprogrammed to activate the feature (as built data). Only thing I could possibly think of. Perhaps a OASIS report showing all the warranty repairs done may give you some insight.

Check with the dealership. BTW, I just checked the Window Stickers of my last two vehicles and there is no mention of radio type. Both did/do have HD Radio. It just mentions Navigation and the Sirius subscription. You do have Nav. don't you?
As blwnsmoke mentioned, have the dealer check into any repairs that may have been done.

Peter

Yes, I have Nav. I will get it to the dealership and see if they can shed some light on it.

It isn’t a huge deal, but I’d like to know one way or the other.

So you got me thinking about this and when I checked my ‘14 Limited (Sony sound system), sure enough my HD radio isn’t working on stations that it should either.

I bought my vehicle used a few months ago and never noticed if the HD radio was functional at that time. Several weeks ago I updated the Sync firmware to the latest level, possibly that caused the HD to stop working (software bug?). I have Forscan and intend on plugging it in this weekend to check whether the HD radio feature has been disabled somehow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 11 had v3.10 and HD worked.

Back