• Register Today It's free!

Parts to stockpile?

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
This might seem like a weird thing to post but I have 2 v8 explorers I would like to keep for as long as possible. One is my daily driver grocery getter and one is my project/backup vehicle. I am having all kinds of little things break and am wondering what are the most common parts or rare parts i need to start grabbing when i visit the junkyard to keep these things running for years to come?

I always keep at least one alternator/starter on the shelf and am curious what else i should start grabbing while there are still alot of these in the junkyards...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would mostly replace all rusty parts you may have, and stay ahead of maintenance.

Maybe rear windshield wiper motor.

Good luck.

Look for spare hinges, latches, actuators, window motors etc, but more than that, the obsolete parts which nobody makes anymore. Think of interior parts, windows and seals, the hatch seal get 2-3 of those, the hatch glass seal also, a sunroof from later trucks(95-05 swap), radio bezel, dash switches, and window switches. The mechanicals are fairly easy to take care of, though some like the AWD may be expensive to rebuild.

Keep all of the fluids fresh always.

I would prioritize parts that are less commonly replaced. The wear items like motors, suspension parts, etc are easily available in the aftermarket and probably will be for a long time just due to the sheer number of these trucks that were built. Stuff like interior panels, sun visors, seats, window seals, etc that aren't made in the aftermarket are going to be harder and harder to find in good condition.

Maybe get a rear driveshaft as these can be expensive to replace.

^ So basically what CDW said

An ECU and engine sensors would be nice to have on hand as well.

An ECU and engine sensors would be nice to have on hand as well.
Good suggestion.
The pats module, ignition switch and spare set of keys also.

The GEM is easy to grab. I'd take all relays and flashers and fuses also to make a spare box set.

I would almost suggest taking everything that will come off and throwing it on a shelf somewhere. You'll never need any of it if you do.

Good suggestion.
The pats module, ignition switch and spare set of keys also.

The GEM is easy to grab. I'd take all relays and flashers and fuses also to make a spare box set.

I would almost suggest taking everything that will come off and throwing it on a shelf somewhere. You'll never need any of it if you do.

Ditto, the electronics stuff will become flaky after 20-25 years. I learned that from my several Mark VII's over the years, which are almost ten years longer than the 2nd gen's. Keep spare modules, the PCM, GEM, EATC, PATS etc. The same is true for the compass module, and everything similar with transistors etc. I still need a couple of GEM modules for spares, and for my 92 Lincoln I hope to install one into.

What is the GEM? And where is the PATS located on the vehicle?

What is the GEM? And where is the PATS located on the vehicle?

The GEM has the most general electronics in it like various relays, to reduce the number of scattered relays etc, around the vehicle. The more relays are used also means less circuits are running higher currents which damage wiring and switches long term, like the head light switches and AC unit.

The GEM is inside the dash to the left of the radio. The PATS is a simpler module made just for the anti-theft functions, it's somewhere behind the right air bag pocket.

Back