• Register Today It's free!

How much oil?

BlueEx00

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
How much mercon v do I need if I’m only draining the trans pan and replacing the gasket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wd think u wd be replacing Trans Filter TOO while u are in there....

I had already done that the first time I changed the fluid about a month ago I guess I installed the gasket incorrectly haha! That’s how we learn I guess.

I had already done that the first time I changed the fluid about a month ago I guess I installed the gasket incorrectly haha! That’s how we learn I guess.

GOTTA be Stock Ford Reusable Rubber Gasket with metal innards - If u don't have one get one - Felt or Cork & Rubber composition Gasket are NOT gonna work.

My 2001 5r55e took exactly 4.5 qts of Mercon V after a pan drop and filter change. It was full when I drained it and I just measured what came out and put the same amount back in.

BTW - I used the rubber composition gasket that came with my Wix trans filter. I greased it lightly, as the directions suggested, and snugged it down with a 1/4" ratchet. It hasn't leaked a drop in 4 years. You should use a torque wrench and torque to spec. The reason sheet metal pans leak is because people over-tighten them. Once a pan (or valve cover) is over-tightened you will have leaks.

We’re do I get one??!

My 2001 5r55e took exactly 4.5 qts of Mercon V after a pan drop and filter change. It was full when I drained it and I just measured what came out and put the same amount back in.

Which is a DAMN good idea if u have 5r55e with NO Dipstick like my 2002 T Bird ~! - Then I use my pressurized Pickle Jar via the "annulus" … what a PITA ~!

PICKLE JAR .jpg

We’re do I get one??!

I THINK u can only get the good reusable Tranny Gasket fm Ford unfortunately... now hopefully I'm wrong & someone will correct me in a minute - Hell just jerk one off a junkyard Tranny - I have originals on my 95 & 96 MKVIII that don't leak a drop.

- But no matter what ANYONE says u need the Ford reusable Rubber Gasket w/ metal innards - Using the soft junk Gaskets is what deforms the Pan Fastener holes (so u gotta flatten the dimples back out) - Peeps will say "put sealant on the Cork or Felt Gasket"... that's BS,,, Gasket just slips.

My aftermarket gasket doesn't leak at all. No sealant required either.

That said - if you want an OE style 4R70W gasket, you can pick one up without going to the dealer. The ATP LG204 is designed the same way.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005R4J1QI

My aftermarket gasket doesn't leak at all. No sealant required either.

That said - if you want an OE style gasket, you can pick one up without going to the dealer. The ATP LG204 is designed the same way.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005R4J1QI

That's a great Link... scrowl down & there's the Dorman 4r70w or 4r75w Pan w/ DRAIN plug for less than $20 ~! - I THINK there's some 5r55e OEM style Trans Gaskets below that.

That’s awesome! But mine isn’t 14 hole that’s for 2wd if I remember right I need and 18/20 hole I’m sure someone with more knowledge will correct me hope they do I love learning!

That's a 4R70W gasket in my link. If you've got a V6 it would be a different pan.

Yes I do mine an 18 hole 5r55e

That's a great Link... scrowl down & there's the Dorman 4r70w or 4r75w Pan w/ DRAIN plug for less than $20 ~! - I THINK there's some 5r55e OEM style Trans Gaskets below that.

For hunting parts on Amazon, enter your vehicle model etc, near the top left, and it will tell you if the parts fit that, or narrow the choices in a search, to what fits. Their application guide is pretty good.

I tighten the pan bolts by hand and a small ratchet/socket. The key is to not use your arm strength, just the wrist. Go slow and don't try to tighten each bolt to the final/full amount. Snug them all up, then go one at a time around the pan, tighten them only with wrist strength, and they should be tight enough after about twice around.

I used to use a 1/4" torque wrench for VB bolts, I got used to what 100inlbs is soon enough, so I know what that feels like by hand.

Ok so get the cheater pipe? Or no

I also added a B&M universal drain plug to my 5r55e trans pan. I found 2 plugs for $12 on eBay. This makes dropping the pan a much less-messy job. The drain plug hasn't leaked a drop in 4 years either. Tip - use a step-drill to make the required hole in the trans pan. Step-drills are great for making holes in steel as they don't jam and bend the metal like a regular drill bit.

Another alternative to not make a mess is using a $12 transfer pump to suck the fluid out of the trans pan through the dipstick tube.

I can't find an aftermarket reusable gasket for the 5R55E - you really might have to order that through Ford or search for a supplier online. I think the part number is F5TZ-7A191-A.

I can't find an aftermarket reusable gasket for the 5R55E - you really might have to order that through Ford or search for a supplier online. I think the part number is F5TZ-7A191-A.

That one's $18 from Tasca, but are those originals composite? I thought my 99 5R gasket was rubber/steel like my 4R's? I'll have it back apart soon, and it's the original with 152k on it.

Don't hurt those stock pan gaskets, don't toss them, simply wipe them and reuse them forever.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good question - I'm really not sure on the 5R gasket. Seems odd that they wouldn't use a rubber/steel gasket. I didn't catch that it wasn't one until you said something.

Back