How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 43 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

Well done, those OHV 4.0's will last for ages with good care. The transmission though you need to give extra attention to, a VB kit etc, and best fluid you can get, plus a cooler.

We need to get you to the JYd's, to save a couple of the 302 Explorers, bring them home and swap the drivetrains into your Sport's.
I've considered a 302 swap in the past, but never got up enough free time or inclination to do it. Love to have one though.
I actually have a Superior shift kit already in it and a Magnefine filter ready to go in.

MBrooks and RandomNerd, the Castrol 10W-30 was a conventional oil, and I switched to synthetic hoping it would get up into the synchro unit better. I think they fail because of a lack of lubrication. My Ranger synchro failed at only 55K miles and the Sport was at 167K. Go figure. The Ranger synchro started making noise right after the ride home from buying it LOL....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

80K miles yesterday

80K.jpg

My 2001 had 185K in 2013 when it was rear-ended and totaled.. I had been driving it for about four years by then, I bought it at an auto auction.
I just bought a 2000 yesterday with 164,000 on the clock. It is running beautifully. It has been well maintained by previous owner, came with all the maintenance records since new.

1999 4x4 4.0 ohv original engine and trans 270,721 miles.

Only 80K on a 5.0...that things still a baby with a whole life ahead of it!

Bought a few months ago for $5K including Tax & Tags & Fees... really like it~!

Let me borrow that for a couple of months to break it in fully. I hit 224k this last week, I'm about ready to retire it from work use. That or rebuild the transmission because it makes me do it.

Let me borrow that for a couple of months to break it in fully. I hit 224k this last week, I'm about ready to retire it from work use. That or rebuild the transmission because it makes me do it.

Don,

very impressive that you use your Ex for such hard use. The stop and go and idle must be very hard on the mechanics. (My Ex has many more miles, but mostly highway use and that is a lot of gliding.).

Impressive that you can do that.

Don,

very impressive that you use your Ex for such hard use. The stop and go and idle must be very hard on the mechanics. (My Ex has many more miles, but mostly highway use and that is a lot of gliding.).

Impressive that you can do that.

The V6 transmission of my 99 SOHC is the weakest link for hard use. I'll swap a 306 into it some day, likely with this 98's trans rebuilt for it with AODE gearing and 4.56's. The 4R70W is a very strong transmission in stock form(98+), but high mileage is a killer for any trans. The VB and solenoids etc, should be replaced at some point like an engine timing chain. I began with this 98 on a route three years ago at 158k, so it needed the work done then. Now I'm on borrowed time, it sometimes isn't down into 1st gear when I start off, usually when fully warm and later in the day.

Thanks for the kind words, these are very good drivetrains, some of the best Ford has ever made.

I think I actually found a V8 Eddie Bauer to get soon, 2000 white V8 Eddie Bauer, double Eddies, that's sounding nice. To add though in the meanwhile, my V8 swapped Eddie Bauer sits at 131,061 miles, and the parts Mountaineer at 124,502.

Hell i have just about rebuilt it

20190610_210103.jpg

More flames...

1B00420D-A633-44B0-A318-2D3B89B617F3.jpeg

AA858855-43A0-4829-AF11-2F4EF8809D0A.jpeg

Just hit 160k while ago, still running strong *knock knock*

It becomes an interest, like a hobby. Repairs, then maintenance, then modifications and improvements. Doing most work myself, otherwise it would be just very expensive.... in short, drive it til the wheels fall off, then put them back on and keep going.

Stay safe and have a great day!

It becomes an interest, like a hobby. Repairs, then maintenance, then modifications and improvements. Doing most work myself, otherwise it would be just very expensive.... in short, drive it til the wheels fall off, then put them back on and keep going.

Stay safe and have a great day!

Exactly. Same here, I would never pay for someone else to do most of what I want done. I'd only own one or two cars and they would be boring.

1st pics 1.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice limited and looks like a mountaineer

Thanks, and it will look like the Mountaineer eventually(colors and emblems, grille etc), some day.

Back