How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I left the house this morning...

0613190706_resized (1).jpg

1999 Mountaineer 5.0
197,000 miles
(original engine and transmission)
I've covered a few miles since my first post in this thread (see quote above)! Just passed 262,000 and still rolling (original engine and transmission). And thanks to many of you for the helpful advice along the way...

243,000 and still going strong with help from this group. Original engine and trans.

307k on my SOHC. Second engine, rebuilt trans
121k on my 5.0

96K MILES - Bought for $5K w 75K milrs Jan 2019 - Runs & drives great - One of the things I love most is an Active Forum of helpful guys & great Archives that helped me thru the little "mid life crisis"....

315k and everything has been replaced or fixed except the body panels

2000 Mountaineer 5.0L RWD - 268,000 miles on the original engine, transmission and rear diff. Besides regular maintenance the only parts replaced in eight years have been upper/lower ball joints, radiator, A/C clutch, fuel pump, rear pinion seal and idler/tensioner pulleys. Vehicle was semi retired last Fall, but is still driven weekly. It's looking a bit rough these days, but still runs and drives great. It was rear-ended last Summer and insurance gave us almost $2,000 for the damages (which I repaired to $30) so it owes me nothing.

2001 5.0L RWD Eddie Bauer Explorer - 200,000+ miles. All original except upper/lower ball joints, fuel pump, 5th shock and driver seat bottom leather replacement. Vehicle is in almost like-new condition and rarely used.

2001 Sport Trac 4.0L SOHC - 212,000 miles. Recently - both cylinder heads replaced (cracked), all timing chain components replaced, oil pump replaced, all gaskets/seals replaced, harmonic balancer replaced, plastic rad fan replaced, Simmons Autosportz aluminum T-stat housing installed. Since purchased in 2015 - radiator replaced (twice), fuel pump replaced, upper/lower ball joints replaced, body mount bushings replaced, complete rear diff replaced, plus too many repairs to list since purchased w/184,000 miles on it. This truck has to go down as the worst vehicle I've ever owned (and I've probably owned at least 50 vehicles over my lifetime).

not quite 350k! just started rattling on my sohc. i bought the parts and hope to start the fix after my semester's iver in a couple of weeks. My explorers getting old.

my 1995 xlt just turned 200,000 miles the other day:)

How many on your explorers?

...just wonderin how much longer push mine
My 2000 awd 302 mounty has 356,000 miles and runs and drives like new it has original motor trans it doesn't burn or consume any oil I'm an over maintainer tho everything on the truck works windows switches etc.. even the cigarette lighter works John Belushi would be mad if he rode in the truck with a non functional cigarette lighter

Attachments

• 15931732906327261831377381943101.jpg
    15931732906327261831377381943101.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 55

270,000 getting ready to do rear bearings. Hoping I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's my issue. Did the front last year . She's still gotta lotta life left in her

270,000 getting ready to do rear bearings. Hoping I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's my issue. Did the front last year . She's still gotta lotta life left in her
Why would you hope you’re wrong? The bearings sure beat a differential.

1999 Mountaineer 5.0
197,000 miles
(original engine and transmission)
I've covered a few miles since my first post in this thread (see quote above)! Just passed 274,000 and still rolling (original engine and transmission). And thanks to many of you for the helpful advice along the way...

174K. Have only put on 500 mi. so far, bought it Mar. 2021.

HOLY CRAP

That... is a lot of time on the road!

Still the original engine? What have you done?
The truck was a gift from family in 1997. In the Winter, it is used for commuting at a ski resort and snowboard adventures throughout Colorado. In the Summer, it is used to tow a boat to Lake Ontario. The rest of the time, the truck is in Tampa, Florida.

Ford replaced the original engine as warranty work at 90,000 miles, trying to resolve timing chain noise which was not really understood at the time. I replaced the second engine at about 425,000 miles, again concerned about timing chain rattle. Also, have replaced transfer case once, and had transmission rebuilt one time.

The truck is a hobby and a challenge. Stay steady, one fix at a time. Really, have been only able to maintain it through information on the Forum! Thanks again Explorer Forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The truck was a gift from family in 1997. In the Winter, it is used for commuting at a ski resort and snowboard adventures throughout Colorado. In the Summer, it is used to tow a boat to Lake Ontario. The rest of the time, the truck is in Tampa, Florida.

Ford replaced the original engine as warranty work at 90,000 miles, trying to resolve timing chain noise which was not really understood at the time. I replaced the second engine at about 425,000 miles, again concerned about timing chain rattle. Also, have replaced transfer case once, and had transmission rebuilt one time.

The truck is a hobby and a challenge. Stay steady, one fix at a time. Really, have been only able to maintain it through information on the Forum! Thanks again Explorer Forum.

I love that, loyalty and dedication to the goal, and the truck lives on.

I have several 2nd gens now, and it's hard to keep them all running at the same time(I'll skip the other six cars I own). My mileage numbers for the four, are 216k, 227k, 152k, and I'm right at 200k with my latest 98. The SOHC 99 is at 152k, the trans went about eight years ago, and I've been driving the other 98's since(the 302's).

Back