How much oil? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much oil?

I called almost ever dealer near me and no one has it, I would use the old one if I had it the old one I stripped off came off in chunks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good question - I'm really not sure on the 5R gasket. Seems odd that they wouldn't use a rubber/steel gasket. I didn't catch that it wasn't one until you said something.

The picture isn't great, it looks like it has the tiny steel pins buried in the gasket, one on each side of each bolt hole. Those kind are "okay", but I don't like the combination of so many materials. The adhesive component will let go of the materials eventually, so leaks will occur at some point long into the future. That's my aversion to cork gaskets, those work fine when new, but they break down from the adhesives far sooner than a bonded steel/rubber gasket, or RTV.

If your in Oklahoma you can have these I don't need them anymore
IMG_20190613_105318.jpg

When I bought my filter from Auto zone it came with a rubber gasket. I also have the 5r55e filter I never used (found a another) if you want it lol

I love this site you guys are awesome!

There are a bunch of great people here.

All the OE trans pan gaskets I've seen were composite, but had little steel pucks in holes in the gasket to prevent warping the trans pan when tightening the bolts. I could have reused them, but the pucks fall out when you drop the pan and it seemed like a PITA to find them all and reinsert them.

Also! Do I need to use gasket sealant when putting the pan with the new gasket back together??

So just stick it on there and bolt it up to the trans? Also I’m using a rubber gasket because I can’t find the reusable one

Yes. Finger tight first then go back in a star pattern and torque them down to spec or however you are doing it. Just don't over tighten them

I’m going to “wrist” tighten them when I do the star pattern

I’m going to “wrist” tighten them when I do the star pattern

Yes, jump around while tightening the bolts and do it in several steps.

Also I’m using a Cork composite gasket instead of rubber I’ve used rubber the past 2 times and both have leaked.

Also I’m using a Cork composite gasket instead of rubber I’ve used rubber the past 2 times and both have leaked.

I new or virtually perfect rubber gasket shouldn't leak, same with most of the OEM gaskets, which is why we say reuse them.

But you can use RTV to seal any pan gasket, if it's really needed. I had a used aftermarket gasket I was going to reuse with RTV on my 92 Lincoln. But the aftermarket filter I bought came with a similar but new rubber gasket, it's for an AOD. I tossed the other used one and put the new one on without any sealant, just wet with a little ATF spread on, from the underside of the VB.

If you ever do need the RTV, simply spread it on as thinly as possible, so it is still just wet when you put the pan up and bolt it on. That won't leak.

BTW, Amazon has a great price right now for Ultra Grey or Ultra Copper, which is good to 700 degrees. I have two of the UC coming for $3.70 each by the subscription service(15% off). In parts stores they are selling for about $7+ a tube, which is just 3-4oz.

If you are experiencing leaks, I'd say you trans pan is warped. In the past I had a pan on a '65 Mustang C4 that no amount of sealant would fix. I think the sealant wouldn't work because it's impossible to get the mating surface on the trans clean and dry of fluid. After attempting to get the steel pan to seal 3 different times, I finally replaced the pan with a cast aluminum one. Never leaked again.

Cork gaskets may seem like a better solution than the composite/rubber gaskets because they are thicker looking, but they also compress over time and require frequent re-tightening.

I use Ultra Grey sealant on rear diff covers (with no gasket) and have never had a leak if you follow the directions on how to use it.

Do you think I could go to a pick and pull or would you recommend ordering a new one

Do you think I could go to a pick and pull or would you recommend ordering a new one

Pick and pulls usually put a hold in the pan when they drain the fluid just to be quick since the car is scrap now anyways

That’s a shame does anyone have a link/site I can go to to look at new pans?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back