Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall

Ottawa, Ontario resident here and before I sold my 2016 EX Sport, the rear toe link recall was performed last year (minus the alignment) when it went in for a failed PTU and tranny.
I didn't even ask the dealership to do it specifically, as they mentioned that it came up under the VIN search (which it did and I also received the recall letter, despite it saying only applicable to certain regions) and they didn't care if it was a regional thing only.

Hmm. Did your service invoice say specifically what was done? I just got my '16 back from a PTU replacement, told them it was steering funny and driving weird - they did a Toe Alignment but the invoice says nothing about a recall - so now I'm really wondering. Guess I'll have to call them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a rear toe link replacement so I don't think it would affect the steering feel that much if at all. On my Invoice it indicated rear toe link replacement and alignment due to Recall.

Ottawa, Ontario resident here and before I sold my 2016 EX Sport, the rear toe link recall was performed last year (minus the alignment) when it went in for a failed PTU and tranny.
I didn't even ask the dealership to do it specifically, as they mentioned that it came up under the VIN search (which it did and I also received the recall letter, despite it saying only applicable to certain regions) and they didn't care if it was a regional thing only.

Sigh

Can't say I'm surprised. Not sure why it wasn't showing up for them, but there you go. Hopefully they have it up for next week.

Dealer here in Knoxville said the same...parts are on backorder and to call back on the 25th.

Well that's good to know that I wasn't just being blown off.

My dealer said they're waiting for the parts. He said to call back in in two weeks. Seems a bit extreme.

What's extreme? That you have to wait 2 weeks?

What's extreme? That you have to wait 2 weeks?

Yes. The recall was just announced(they've know for awhile now) and they're not even ready to implement the fix. A recall mind you that has the potential to be very dangerous. And his "2 weeks", I could tell he was just ballparking it. I expected more details and info. Perhaps I'm sour that I could three times that day with them saying they're going to call back about the parts. Never received any call back. Ended up calling the next morning and that's when I got the "2 weeks estimate". Did I miss the first batch of parts? Not sure. When I had my CX-5, Mazda was on it with recalls.

Will the dealer fix/replace??
Yes I was fine with just touch up paint since they're aftermarket wheels. I've been planning on putting different wheels on soon so I was nice about it.

Yes. The recall was just announced(they've know for awhile now) and they're not even ready to implement the fix. A recall mind you that has the potential to be very dangerous. And his "2 weeks", I could tell he was just ballparking it. I expected more details and info. Perhaps I'm sour that I could three times that day with them saying they're going to call back about the parts. Never received any call back. Ended up calling the next morning and that's when I got the "2 weeks estimate". Did I miss the first batch of parts? Not sure. When I had my CX-5, Mazda was on it with recalls.

I had a similar experience as yours...called to check if parts would be available for my upcoming appointment. Service Adviser stated she would call back in a few minutes (their 'system' was rebooting)...never heard back from her. I call the next day and get the 'check back in 2 weeks' info on when the parts for the recall may be available....the toe-links are on back-order.

There are many safety recalls that take months. Two weeks on a recall (mostly longer) that was just announced is nothing.. cough cough TAKATA.. Do you expect any manufacturer to have 2.4 million toe links ready and in stock? And there has been ONE accident out of 1.2 million vehicles in 9 years with minor injuries.

Heck, just scheduling 1.2 million explorers for the fix will take a heck of a lot more time than 2 weeks.

Sheesh...

I had a similar experience as yours...called to check if parts would be available for my upcoming appointment. Service Adviser stated she would call back in a few minutes (their 'system' was rebooting)...never heard back from her. I call the next day and get the 'check back in 2 weeks' info on when the parts for the recall may be available....the toe-links are on back-order.

Did we call the same service department? lol but yeah, it was just frustrating that the first day I called she made it seem like she was going to check to make sure they still had parts. Both times I called. Never received any calls back and then I call first thing the next morning and now its 2 weeks. Just odd. But oh well.

Called AirportMarina Ford in Los angeles and they said call back in a couple weeks.
Called Santa Monica Ford and they said they have the parts and to bring it in on Monday.
Do they do a 4 wheel alignment or just the rear when they are done replacing the links?

It has been mentioned in this thread a few posts ago that the Recall mentions just the rear wheel alignment and I also mentioned they did a 4 wheel alignment on mine. At least that was what the invoice indicated.

Peter

It has been mentioned in this thread a few posts ago that the Recall mentions just the rear wheel alignment and I also mentioned they did a 4 wheel alignment on mine. At least that was what the invoice indicated.

Peter

For those that had the recall performed under recall# 17S11, no alignment was done at all.

Scheduled for next Friday, called right away. Adviser even checked it they had parts

YMMV

I'm calling it now...
Soon the front stabilizer links will be recalled also.
The cap of the ball-joint is also plastic and can break easily.
Ford should have used forged steel for all of the stabilizer links.

I'm calling it now...
Soon the front stabilizer links will be recalled also.
The cap of the ball-joint is also plastic and can break easily.
Ford should have used forged steel for all of the stabilizer links.

Those are a wear item. Ever see a pair of Moog? Junk when the zerk fall out out. Like a joystick for a Nintendo.

Replace them and you will be fine, no recall for those.

Done at Santa Monica Ford today
Recall and 4-wheel alignment took 2.5hrs
They also did the trim repair. Told the advisor to do it while its in the shop.
Great service

Those are a wear item. Ever see a pair of Moog? Junk when the zerk fall out out. Like a joystick for a Nintendo.

Replace them and you will be fine, no recall for those.
I agree, but the cheapos used by Ford will all fail at the same spot...the plastic cap!
My EX Sport was sold to a coworker and he had to replace the passenger side, at 40K miles (just outside of the comprehensive warranty period).
There's a reason why Ford is changing the rears to an all forged steel design.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back