• Register Today It's free!

Lunging during acceleration

justindeeroberts

Reaction score
City, State
LOCUST GROVE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2015 Sport with the twin turbo ecoboost. No engine lights and no codes that I know of, but during acceleration, it feels like the turbos aren't holding boost and I think I can hear them bleeding off early.
I've heard this is somewhat of a common problem with this engine, but I'm curious as to how to fix it. I've also been told that I'm about 150 HP less than what I should be at because of this issue.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I read through that thread. It sounds somewhat similar, but I wouldn't consider mine to be bucking. It's more subtle.
But I can hear the turbo losing boost and releasing the pressure while accelerating.

Check the connections on the turbo to the charge pipes.

Ok will do, thank you!
On my first DIY oil change (after I used the freebie at the dealership), I had to tighten the hose clamp of the charge pipe the one turbo that is near the front bumper, as it was barely holding the pipe in place.

On my first DIY oil change (after I used the freebie at the dealership), I had to tighten the hose clamp of the charge pipe the one turbo that is near the front bumper, as it was barely holding the pipe in place.
Was you Sport lunging too?

Hmm weird. I'll definitely check it out though, thank you!
Do you have climate control set to auto?
Sometimes when the AC kicks on and off, it can feel like the vehicle is lunging forward, but is more apparent on smaller engines, versus a v6.

Do you have climate control set to auto?
Sometimes when the AC kicks on and off, it can feel like the vehicle is lunging forward, but is more apparent on smaller engines, versus a v6.
Hmm No I don't think so, normally it's just running, but I'll trying it with it off. But I wouldn't think the AC would cause what's happening.

I currently have this problem. I thought initially it was the tune or the 3 bar map, but when I put everything back to stock same problem. What's bad is that its intermittent, boost will peak at 20.3 and then drop to 10-14 while hard acceleration. Before I bring mine into the dealer, I'm gonna try something I had read on an F150 forum where I disconnect the electrical plug on the bov's and see if the problem occurs. The theory is that the diaphragm on the bov can suffer a tear and cause the fluctuation on boost.

I currently have this problem. I thought initially it was the tune or the 3 bar map, but when I put everything back to stock same problem. What's bad is that its intermittent, boost will peak at 20.3 and then drop to 10-14 while hard acceleration. Before I bring mine into the dealer, I'm gonna try something I had read on an F150 forum where I disconnect the electrical plug on the bov's and see if the problem occurs. The theory is that the diaphragm on the bov can suffer a tear and cause the fluctuation on boost.
Let me know how that goes!

Mine occasionally stalls when I try to go from about 5 to 30 quickly. I have a hard time recreating it. I confirmed that it isnt the issue with loose intake tube.

I have a 2015 Sport with the twin turbo ecoboost. No engine lights and no codes that I know of, but during acceleration, it feels like the turbos aren't holding boost and I think I can hear them bleeding off early.
I've heard this is somewhat of a common problem with this engine, but I'm curious as to how to fix it. I've also been told that I'm about 150 HP less than what I should be at because of this issue.

Thanks!
What did you end up having to fix? I have same problems. Feels as if turbo isn't able stay boost. Sounds like it's wastegate on a semi that's not operating properly.

What did you end up having to fix? I have same problems. Feels as if turbo isn't able stay boost. Sounds like it's wastegate on a semi that's not operating properly.
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here a year ago. Hopefully he is still following the thread.

Peter

Has anyone figured this out? I was thinking wastegate myself, mine pulses power like boost kicks in then drops off kicks in and drops off, I really notice on a long uphill on the gas fairly good

Has anyone figured this out? I was thinking wastegate myself, mine pulses power like boost kicks in then drops off kicks in and drops off, I really notice on a long uphill on the gas fairly good
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked to ensure all hose connections are tight?
The 2016 Explorer was also known to have issues with the throttle body.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked to ensure all hose connections are tight?
The 2016 Explorer was also known to have issues with the throttle body.

Peter
Yes everything’s tight and that throttle body symptoms don’t sound like mine, it’s really just under boost it happens, I’ve already had to put a new turbo on it “that was fun on the street” I’m just hoping the other one isn’t going bad , I can definitely feel a small pressure difference between the 2 boost hoses

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check this small tube here to see if it's disconnected. Mine was for months after a plug change and was battling a surging issue. Sure enough, mine was disconnected.

Back