• Register Today It's free!

New to Explorer ownership

CharlesS

Reaction score
City, State
Bryson City, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Eddie Bower, 4.6 4x4
We purchased a 2008 Eddie Bauer with the 4.6 V8 and 4x4. The truck is a well maintained southern (rust free) vehicle with 129K miles on it. We got the service records and it has been maintained per factory recommendations. We bought the SUV as a DD for the wife. I sent it to the shop a few weeks back. They serviced it and replaced the radiator which had a cracked tank and a slow leak. One thing I don't like is the 18 inch steel wheels with plastic chromed mag wheel covers made to them. Does anyone know if a set of 18 inch Mustang wheels will fit this SUV? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on the wheel offset and bold pattern. Your explorer has a 5x114.3 pattern and 70.6 center bore size with a stock offset between 35 and 44. I don't know the stock rim width but probably between 6.5 and 9. If the mustang rims are close to that then yes it should work.

The explorer wheels are 7.5" wide.

Not sure if Stang wheels will fit a 4th gen Exploder (SN95, or '98-04 Mustang wheels WILL fit Explorers through 2001, at least...I had them on all of my previous Explorers),

The offset will likely be different. It was wrong with the 2004 Bullits I have in regards to my '98 Explorer, and I know the backspacing is even more different with the 4th gens, just by looking at the wheels on my '06.

FWIW, I have aftermarket 17" wheels and I want to put the stock 17" wheels back on mine...

Thanks y'all! I also have considered going with an alloy wheel from a similar model Explorer, however most of them are 16 inch wheels, and our Explorer has 18 inch wheels. Not sure if a 16 inch alloy will clear the brake parts?

Yes they will clear stock sizes where 16 up to 18.

Yes they will clear stock sizes where 16 up to 18.
Thanks, on some vehicles when the engine size increases the size of the brakes are also increased. I didn't know if the Explorer is like that or not, espically since it has a V8.
Our 2015 Mustang GT Premium uses a 19 inch wheel. It came without a spare tire, just an inflation kit. I tried an 18 inch Mustang wheel that I was going to use as a spare, and it does not clear.

The 18 will likely fit on the rear of your mustang. Not a perfect solution, but if it does, you could always swap a rear to the front and use 18 inch spare in rear.

Thanks, it didn't fit front or rear. I ordered the factory spare tire kit for it which uses a 19 inch donut style wheel a d tire.

It sounds like all Explorers use the same size brakes regardless of engine or wheel size making them all interchangeable?

It sounds like all Explorers use the same size brakes regardless of engine or wheel size making them all interchangeable?

correct, with regards to generation. :)

Back