question about the stock differentials? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

question about the stock differentials?

pcrussell50

Reaction score
City, State
socal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 expolrer xlt
1997 4.0 XLT

I think I understand how the control trac works, with the transfer case and it's magnetic clutch to send torque to the front.

But this question is about side to side... When 4wd Hi or 4wd Lo, on dry pavement, you get scrubbing in tight turns... Like a race car with a spool in the rear axle instead of a differential, or probably like a locker diff.

What kind of front and rear diffs does a stock 1997 4.0 XLT have? Open? Limited slip? Some kind of locker system that locks them when 4wd is selected? Something else?

-Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"When 4wd Hi or 4wd Lo, on dry pavement, you get scrubbing in tight turns"
Thats the problem, DONT use 4x4 on dry pavement!

Only mud or snow imo

Your front diff is open, your rear may be limited slip or open. Both diffs have the same gear ratio, without knowing your axle code there's know way of knowing what you have. You aren't supposed to be in 4WD on dry roads because you will get scrubbing and binding on corners. As said, don't use 4WD on dry roads.

I don't drive on dry pavement in 4wd. I used it as an example because I thought it might have had something to do with locked diffs. And In fact, if the the front is open and the rear is open (might be LSD), I'm not sure how you could have scrubbing.

-Peter

On flat pavement you have an even surface so even with front 'open diffs' they are getting equal torque split with rear....

Check your door sticker under "Axle" to see if you have rear opens or L.S.
CHART FOR CODES HERE:
Axle Tag Codes for Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco II Axle Identification

The only upside if you have a rear open is it's easier and cheaper to add a 'lunchbox' locker to it....I would say a must if you plan on doing a fair amount of off-roading.....
(ALL 95 & 96 4x4's had rear Limited slip.)

Thanks mate. That is helpful.

Shifting gears a little (pun intended), since I have moved this car to a place where it snows in the winter, has anyone ever retrofitted selectable lockers, like ARB? Or are locking diffs no better than opens in snow?

I’m from Australia (home of ARB) and California so little snow expertise.

-Peter

I don't drive on dry pavement in 4wd. I used it as an example because I thought it might have had something to do with locked diffs. And In fact, if the the front is open and the rear is open (might be LSD), I'm not sure how you could have scrubbing.

-Peter
@pcrussell50

Take a tandem trailer like this:
Dean-Trailers-No10-15.JPG

It will stand on it's own without the front support wheel, and move it by hand forwards or backwards. You will quickly find it will ONLY MOVE in a straight line. If you attempt to drag it around a slight curve, the tires will fight you like hell! Scrubbing. And, each one is individually able to turn, with no connected driveline.

Can you see why? imp

Back