• Register Today It's free!

Can i fake out the chipped key ?

hertfordnc

Reaction score
City, State
Hertford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4.6 xlt
I have only ONE chipped key for my 2004 XLT.

If i cut an un-chipped key and stash the chipped key in the steering column, will it work?

A friend did this with his dodge vans, it worked perfectly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Give it a try, others have said it does work for these Fords, I recall those reports about the 2nd gens(98-01). Good luck,

I have only ONE chipped key for my 2004 XLT.

If i cut an un-chipped key and stash the chipped key in the steering column, will it work?

A friend did this with his dodge vans, it worked perfectly.
@hertfordnc
Yes and no. My 3rd. gen, 2004, finally got my attention when I couldn't find my only working key. I have about 5 or 6, all chip keys, but only the one works.

I removed the upper and lower steering column shrouds, removed the one screw holding the PATS Transceiver in place around the lock cylinder, lowered it down to where I could tape the good key to it. Experimented to find best, most foolproof location, which turned out to be pretty variable, used 3M Trim & Upholstery Cement to glue the key to the transceiver, moved it over to the left bottom side of the column, cable-tied it in place. Can't be seen with shrouds in place.

Any key which turns the lock now starts the engine, despite the fact those are all WRONG chips. Once the transceiver "clears" the good key presence, every time the ignition is turned on, it's "locked" on until again turned off. Loss of thievery protection, yes. Worried about that? No.

Forscan may be good. Some have failed to get it to work. There ya go! imp

Another thing you can do is to cut a couple of un-chipped keys. Leave the chipped key in the car and use it to drive with. Only carry a non chipped key around.
Does your Ex have the key pad? We try to never take the key with, always locked up in the car. This is the family car and often we are at events and people need to get in and out of the car and/or move it around. This way we never have to worry about losing the key and everyone has access.

Man I wish I could afford to live in the Utopia those of you who have no worries about security live in...LOL

BTW, no excuses to not have a remote. They're $10 on ebay, nothing special required to program.

Man I wish I could afford to live in the Utopia those of you who have no worries about security live in...LOL

BTW, no excuses to not have a remote. They're $10 on ebay, nothing special required to program.
@TechGuru
This discussion will soon become "not applicable" to the new generations of cars. They all seem to be going to full key-less entry, that is, no outside touch pad, no locks. The key or fob communicates with the PCM via a transceiver. We all know, though, that these transceivers have been known to fail, though not often. Once would be enough for me. imp

That's true, and when the battery dies, you better have a key some place.

@TechGuru
This discussion will soon become "not applicable" to the new generations of cars. They all seem to be going to full key-less entry, that is, no outside touch pad, no locks. The key or fob communicates with the PCM via a transceiver. We all know, though, that these transceivers have been known to fail, though not often. Once would be enough for me. imp

If you want a brand new vehicle you can still buy a brand new Toyota 4Runner with a non-smart key. I refuse to ever own a vehicle with a smart-key. I would think any Make's fleet models would not come with smart keys...

As an afterthought here, how many professional car thieves do you think are unaware of that neat little screwdriver trick to unlock the shifter?
imp

As an afterthought here, how many professional car thieves do you think are unaware of that neat little screwdriver trick to unlock the shifter?
imp

I know a repoman I had to inform about it...

But what's the point? Is the thief going to push it to the chop shop?

imp

Professional car thieves are not going to have a problem with most of the cars they want to steal. The PATS is a very good passive system, but it's not as good as 99% of aftermarket alarm systems. The coded key feature is just another level of protection. I want more than that for a really desirable keeper vehicle, the PATS, aftermarket alarm, and a hidden cut off switch(passive or dual use switch).

The Jacobs ignition systems used to include an engine kill circuit, with a switch that could enable or disable it. I have one of those that was hardly used, it was for the 302 HO cars. That circuit was slick, the kill circuit was required to be disabled each time the engine was started, or the engine would die at a random time within five minutes. Most people left the switch at disarmed. It was just a momentary signal required, a ground applied to the circuit. I ran it to a window switch, so I had to push the switch momentarily one time after starting the car(had to be within 30 seconds).

That took a while to get used to, but it worked, a thief would have a hard time taking that kind of car. That would be a viable kill system someone could produce and sell, at a cheap cost.

I know a repoman I had to inform about it...

But what's the point? Is the thief going to push it to the chop shop?
@TechGuru

In retrospect, I have lived in some very high-theft areas, born & raised outside Chicago, lived in other big cities as well as very rural areas, have owned way over 50 vehicles at last accounting, that ownership spanning over 60 years now, and have never had one stolen, nor anything taken from within one. Many, of course, had only locks as anti-theft protection. imp

Back