Ford Explorer Rear Leaf Springs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Rear Leaf Springs?

Snapey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Explorer, XLT
Hey all,

I'm looking for some after market rear leaf springs for my 1999 Ford Explorer XLT. I've found a set that I'm after, however, they're quite pricy. What's odd is that the exact same brand, same amount of leafs, lift, weight capacities, etc. for the Courier rear leaf springs is much cheaper...

Would a pair of Ford Courier rear leaf springs fit a Ford Explorer?? Does anyone know the dimensions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What’s the brand you’re after, and what’s the price that’s too high?
Better yet, how about a link so we can see...

Wow, that is a huge price difference, I get wanting to see if the courier leafs fit.
The courier hasn’t been sold in the US since 1980 or so, so I’m assuming in Oz the Ranger is called Courier?
I found this link showing a comparison of stock Explorer and Ranger leaf packs, maybe it will help? Ford Explorer & Ranger Leaf Spring Comparisons
One thing to check is if the courier leafs mount outside the frame like a Ranger. If so, that changes the amount of lift you would get since the Explorer has the leafs directly under the frame.
What other brands are available down there? How about skyjacker?

Wow, that is a huge price difference, I get wanting to see if the courier leafs fit.
The courier hasn’t been sold in the US since 1980 or so, so I’m assuming in Oz the Ranger is called Courier?
I found this link showing a comparison of stock Explorer and Ranger leaf packs, maybe it will help? Ford Explorer & Ranger Leaf Spring Comparisons
One thing to check is if the courier leafs mount outside the frame like a Ranger. If so, that changes the amount of lift you would get since the Explorer has the leafs directly under the frame.
What other brands are available down there? How about skyjacker?

We do have Rangers in Australia, and couriers haven’t been around since the early 90s (I think.. dont quote me ). After a little research, it’s said that the Ranger is the successor of the Couriers, so I guess the couriers are now the Rangers down here ahaha.

I just had a look at skyjacker.. can’t seem to find a good Australian retailer which is a bummer.. I’m trying to afford paying massive freight costs, hence why the Tough Dog leafs caught my eye. Tough Dog is a pretty renowned brand in Aus too.. other well known brands down here are Old Man Emu, Ironman 4x4 and RAW 4x4.. sadly most of them don’t supply ‘99 Explorer leafs.

Is rockauto stock leaf spring kit option + summit add a leaf? or just add a leaf kit?

For 1999 model it only shows ranger as application, for 1997 year explorer is option too, not sure if the leaf springs changed a lot?

Is rockauto stock leaf spring kit option + summit add a leaf? or just add a leaf kit?

For 1999 model it only shows ranger as application, for 1997 year explorer is option too, not sure if the leaf springs changed a lot?
Rock Auto is good for my smaller parts, but something fairly large and heavy like a pair of leaf springs would destroy me when it comes to shipping to AUS. As for the stock kits and add a leaf kits, I have considered these options, but I'd much prefer to just get aftermarket 5 or 7 leaf springs.

I put Ranger springs in my 2000 Mountaineer.

Back