2016 PIU dealer programming?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 PIU dealer programming??

I believe you have the bits labeled incorrectly. They start at 0, not 1. In your chart, the first row is bits 0-15, second row is 16-31 and last row is 32-47 (40-47 are checksum value)

The only change I ended up making in IPC 720-02-01 was to bit 37. I fixed my post above - sorry - I was messing with other changes also and posted the wrong hex data.

I used the asbuiltexplorer.exe file to do the conversions and recalc the checksum.

These are the fob programming instructions I found online:

Remote Keyless Entry Fob Programming – 2016/7 Ford Police Utility
The 2016/7 Police Utility vehicle Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) programming procedure has changed as well as the security protocol for the RKE fob.
The 8 key cycle procedure, used on 2013/4/5 Police Utility vehicles, cannot be used.
In addition, prior model year RKE fobs cannot be used on 2016/7 vehicles even though they look similar.
The 2016/7 Police Utility vehicles require the use of RKE part GB5Z-15K601-A (red panic-sedan) or GB5Z-15K601-C (blue liftgate-utility).
To program 2016/7 RKE fobs, use IDS Version 96.03 or later and the VCM-II (VCM-I won’t work).
Select ‘Toolbox’ then ‘Body’, then ‘Security’, and finally ‘Remote Keyless Entry’.
The 48 character string, which is needed for programming, is located on the inside of the fob. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete RKE programming.
Enter’999999′ for the device serial # and follow the 48-character string method.
The 48 character string is located on the label inside the remote.
Once the 48 characters are entered, click on the check tick.
Even though an error screen appears, the remote should be programmed.
Verify by pressing a button. If not, check for the correct 48 characters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I have updated this in a while, busy at work. I was able to get the remotes working again after I installed the backup from the bdycm file I made. I am still working on this to get the rear door to unlock with the door button but at least its working with the remotes so I have that. I think the parts in there are in the 726-51-01 thru 726-52-05 for the rear door, I think so?
I was able to find the codes for the AUX input and I think they are in the FCDIM module and got that working with my Bluetooth adapter I installed on the radio and they are in the 7A5-01-01 THRU 7A5-03-01.
I also tried to set the DRL's on mine (turn signals, headlights...) but got an error each time, the same with dark car, it seemed to mess with my remotes since it would not lock/unlock with that enabled. I did try the auto lock function as well, but no go on that. A few other things I tried but cant think of them at the moment...hopefully I get time to figure more out.
New
Wait, what kind of Bluetooth adapter did you install? I have a 16 PIU with no Bluetooth!!

Thanks!

I believe you have the bits labeled incorrectly. They start at 0, not 1. In your chart, the first row is bits 0-15, second row is 16-31 and last row is 32-47 (40-47 are checksum value)

The only change I ended up making in IPC 720-02-01 was to bit 37. I fixed my post above - sorry - I was messing with other changes also and posted the wrong hex data.

I used the asbuiltexplorer.exe file to do the conversions and recalc the checksum.

These are the fob programming instructions I found online:

Remote Keyless Entry Fob Programming – 2016/7 Ford Police Utility
The 2016/7 Police Utility vehicle Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) programming procedure has changed as well as the security protocol for the RKE fob.
The 8 key cycle procedure, used on 2013/4/5 Police Utility vehicles, cannot be used.
In addition, prior model year RKE fobs cannot be used on 2016/7 vehicles even though they look similar.
The 2016/7 Police Utility vehicles require the use of RKE part GB5Z-15K601-A (red panic-sedan) or GB5Z-15K601-C (blue liftgate-utility).
To program 2016/7 RKE fobs, use IDS Version 96.03 or later and the VCM-II (VCM-I won’t work).
Select ‘Toolbox’ then ‘Body’, then ‘Security’, and finally ‘Remote Keyless Entry’.
The 48 character string, which is needed for programming, is located on the inside of the fob. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete RKE programming.
Enter’999999′ for the device serial # and follow the 48-character string method.
The 48 character string is located on the label inside the remote.
Once the 48 characters are entered, click on the check tick.
Even though an error screen appears, the remote should be programmed.
Verify by pressing a button. If not, check for the correct 48 characters.

My 16 piu has a stereo where the sound mutes when you push the Phone button. How the heck can i get the Bluetooth option working? Media button is also disabled. Thanks!

My 16 piu has a stereo where the sound mutes when you push the Phone button. How the heck can i get the Bluetooth option working? Media button is also disabled. Thanks!

The short answer is that you probably can't.

The long answer is that you almost certainly don't have Sync, which consists of an APIM (7D0) module, some additional wiring, peripheral modules, and some extra programming so that the core modules all play nicely. Bluetooth is part of that system, so without it, the phone button only mutes the radio.

how did you get the aux to work with forscan? im on this problem to. got the aux kit from fordpi mods and no dealer would do it. I have forscan . any help please

Sorry I have updated this in a while, busy at work. I was able to get the remotes working again after I installed the backup from the bdycm file I made. I am still working on this to get the rear door to unlock with the door button but at least its working with the remotes so I have that. I think the parts in there are in the 726-51-01 thru 726-52-05 for the rear door, I think so?
I was able to find the codes for the AUX input and I think they are in the FCDIM module and got that working with my Bluetooth adapter I installed on the radio and they are in the 7A5-01-01 THRU 7A5-03-01.
I also tried to set the DRL's on mine (turn signals, headlights...) but got an error each time, the same with dark car, it seemed to mess with my remotes since it would not lock/unlock with that enabled. I did try the auto lock function as well, but no go on that. A few other things I tried but cant think of them at the moment...hopefully I get time to figure more out.

what values did you change in the FCDIM to get the aux to work??

holy crap after trying every possible way . AUX port to work in a PIU 16. FORScan. load up FCDIM module goto line 7A5-01-01 xxxx,0xxx,xxxx . and it will work.

New to forum. First post!

Just bought a 2016 PIU and dealing with the RKE problem. If everything I have read is accurate.... i just need the following:

1. Bluetooth enabled laptop
2. Forscan
3. a scanner such as: ScanTool OBDLink MX Bluetooth: Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool for Windows and Android - DIY Car and Truck Data and Diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jOacDbP516W5R
4. Key Fobs
5. PATIENCE to sit down, read up, and carefully change settings in BCM?

I apologize for repetition. Local dealer kinda giving me runaround here in FL and i’m totally new to this.

^^Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

New to forum. First post!

Just bought a 2016 PIU and dealing with the RKE problem. If everything I have read is accurate.... i just need the following:

1. Bluetooth enabled laptop
2. Forscan
3. a scanner such as: ScanTool OBDLink MX Bluetooth: Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool for Windows and Android - DIY Car and Truck Data and Diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jOacDbP516W5R
4. Key Fobs
5. PATIENCE to sit down, read up, and carefully change settings in BCM?

I apologize for repetition. Local dealer kinda giving me runaround here in FL and i’m totally new to this.
Download your as-built data from motorcraft, if you need it.
Save, save, save.

Not sure what you mean by "dealing with the rke problem", but there isn't really any problem. The 16+ just have a different procedure to add keyless as I'm not aware that forscan can program fob serials into the bcm yet/ever.

I use a much cheaper USB link from eBay. I think it was <$20 and can be had for less today.

Not sure what you mean by "dealing with the rke problem", but there isn't really any problem. The 16+ just have a different procedure to add keyless as I'm not aware that forscan can program fob serials into the bcm yet/ever.

I use a much cheaper USB link from eBay. I think it was <$20 and can be had for less today.

Can you link an example of the USB device?

Thanks in advance

Elm327 or similar on eBay

This stuff has been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere.

Others swear by very specific or more expensive stuff or whatever. Research it yourself and use your best judgement.

Thanks for all your help KayGee. Dipped my toe in the Forscan pool last night and got my Rear Hatch to work with locks. Very cool!

Not sure if this is the most recent thread covering this - anyway, 2016 PIU & two of the correct fobs. Ford dealership states that there is nothing they can do to program them, try Discount Tires. Discount Tires can't and suggest O'Reillys. O'Reillys guy says he used to work for Ford and they should be able to do it.
So, where now?

A rep at local dealer first told me they couldn’t do it as it didn’t come with RKE. After changing a few setting in Forscan I bought 2 Fobs from dealer, spoke to a different rep and just said needed new fobs programmed.

1 hour later picked it up and fobs worked perfectly.

Talk to a different person or try a different dealer.

Not sure if this is the most recent thread covering this - anyway, 2016 PIU & two of the correct fobs. Ford dealership states that there is nothing they can do to program them, try Discount Tires. Discount Tires can't and suggest O'Reillys. O'Reillys guy says he used to work for Ford and they should be able to do it.
So, where now?

There is literally a Ford bulletin about how to program rke to 16-19 piu. The text at the top of this page is from that ford bulletin. Print it out and take it to the dealer if they can't figure it out themselves.

Back