• Register Today It's free!

Steering Problems

XplrSprt

Reaction score
City, State
Zapata, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Hello community, this morning my 2018 explorer didn’t start and it gave me a message “Steering Assist Fault Service Required”. Does anyone have had this problem before? My Explorer is lowered with H&R springs, do you all think it has something to do with it? Any experience if the springs will void that part of the warranty? Thank you any info would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the car didn't start, check the battery health first. Try to start with a jump.

Sounds like bad ground... Look at battery cables and STEERING RACK GROUND...

I was going to try jumper cables, but I tried to start it just for the heck of it, and it started right away. It lasted like 30 seconds on and then it shut off giving the steering service message. I had to leave for work but this evening I’ll check all the cables.

In reading your last post it seems like the vehicle shut itself off. Is that correct? Did the warning come up before or after it turned off? The first thing to determine is if the two issues are related or a coincidence. I wouldn't think that the warning message would cause the engine to shut off. That would be a very dangerous thing to have happen if you were driving.

Peter

Yes, it shut off as it gave the warning, the explorer is in the garage, I would not drive it like that. It still under warranty but what’s stopping me calling dealer is that the explorer is lowered and I’m afraid they’ll void the warranty. But this evening I’ll check every connection. Funny thing is that with the warning on the display, I scan it and it doesn’t show any obd codes.

I was driving it all day yesterday, I came home at night and I parked it in the garage, and this morning it didn’t started and it showed that message. I never heard any weird noises or felt the steering rough, it just happened overnight while in the garage ‍♂️

Yes, it shut off as it gave the warning, the explorer is in the garage, I would not drive it like that. It still under warranty but what’s stopping me calling dealer is that the explorer is lowered and I’m afraid they’ll void the warranty. But this evening I’ll check every connection. Funny thing is that with the warning on the display, I scan it and it doesn’t show any obd codes.

Pretty sure you have voided your warranty. I mean, they can’t guarantee a steering fault when you purposely modified the way the car steers and handles.

What you can do, if you have the old parts (most modders keep parts) is put the old parts back on and hope for the best.

Lowering it will not void your warranty. They have to prove that any modifications led to the failure of the parts in question.

To me, it sounds like a battery issue. When the battery dies, these things throw out all sorts of weirdness on the dash. My battery died a couple of weeks ago, not completely dead, but not enough to start. While waiting for roadside assistance, I had enough power to keep the radio and HVAC fan on, at first. When it reached the point that it was dying completely, it put up every warning about every system failure that it could.

My stock MAP sensor went out the other day and it threw 6 different codes across my dash as well as sent the trans into freakout mode and reduced power. Luckily I was just around the corner from my ford house and was able to limp it there. They replaced the sensor and off I went like normal. All the electronics/sensors make it tricky to diagnose if you don’t have a tuner to read codes

Back