A little after 95 mph

Mlmdegner1977

Reaction score
City, State
Malone, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, Explorer Sport Trac
why does my explorer sport track shut down at a little after 95 mph

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cause 75mph is the speed limit on alot of the Interstates...gee....

why does my explorer sport track shut down at a little after 95 mph
Because you have reached the power limit of the motor?

Slow down before you blow up your engine and kill someone.

Lol fast is fun tho

Get a cold air intake and you can go 100:laugh:

Because you have exceeded the safe limits of the suspension?

(One of us has got to get this one right).

Be safe.

Because the top speed is limited by Ford to 98 MPH (which is a good thing for a barn door on wheels).

Had my 99 went over 100 and that scared us
100 mph brick

The Sport Trac's sit higher than the regular Explorers. This makes them even more top heavy. Knowing the propensity for Explorers to flip over, perhaps Ford decided to lower the max speed on the Sport Trac. I thought I'd read that the max speed on regular Explorers was 115, but not sure. IMO any speed over 90 in an old Explorer is not a good idea. While browsing CL auto parts it is very common to see ST's that have obviously be flipped.

The Sport Trac's sit higher than the regular Explorers. This makes them even more top heavy. Knowing the propensity for Explorers to flip over, perhaps Ford decided to lower the max speed on the Sport Trac. I thought I'd read that the max speed on regular Explorers was 115, but not sure. IMO any speed over 90 in an old Explorer is not a good idea. While browsing CL auto parts it is very common to see ST's that have obviously be flipped.
It's funny you say 115 after reading this I was looking for info on my 99 and found mutable sources that say 115 mph which is way to fast imo hell 80 seems dangerous to me save it for the track the only reason a friend and I got up to 100mph is because we just were testing our mods now my wife won't go over 80 which I am happy to know she is kinda being
safe like I said a flying brick lol

Yeah, being an "old fart" I rarely exceed 75 MPH and I usually do 65 'ish on the highway even when the speed limit is 75. I figure I have no reason to get anywhere faster, as I'm never in a big rush to get anywhere these days. Frankly, I prefer to stay off the highway when I can. Too many people texting (or otherwise distracted) these days. When I was in my twenties I regularly exceeded 100-140 MPH on motorcycles and in my Corvettes, but you get older you get wiser. I'm in enough pain daily w/out inviting additional trauma.

Back