Sony Xplod XM-552HX Amplifier - Any Experiences? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sony Xplod XM-552HX Amplifier - Any Experiences?

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Looking to purchase an audio amplifier for some rear-mounted subs, without going over the edge. I don't need or want earth shaking booming, but would like to add some low end to my current set-up. Anybody use this Sony amplifier and have any experiences to pass on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just from the specs, I would look for more wattage.

55Wx2@4ohm or 70Wx2@2ohm isn't much for a pair of subs...

Possibly, but like I said am not looking for teeth-rattling bass. I listen to more classical music in the car than anything, and just want the low end to be filled in. There won't be any large capacitors or super-gauge wiring, so am not concerned with drawing or producing huge amounts of power. Sound quality is more important than sound quantity.

Well, IMO, go with more than you need. You can always turn the gains down on a larger wattage amp...

Well, I picked the amp up anyway after the owner dropped the price a bit. If nothing else, it makes a stylish paperweight. There's lots of YouTube content on how to test a car amp for working condition, so I'll give that a try in a bit. Of course everyone's favorite line is "It worked when I took it out...."

I've got two used amps that were given to me by a couple of friends over the years. But I have collected several of one amp line that has never let me down. I bought anew Nakamichi PA200 amp in 1981 for my first car, and mounted under the front seat, was louder than I ever needed.

At 30wx2 and .005% distortion, it could be cranked up all the way, and you'd turn it down.

Skip wattage ratings, buy a high quality amp(look at the distortion), and usually that will be plenty for most people. I'm not an audiophile or snobby, I just like very clear music with the original balance of sounds. Listening to just the bass is stupid to me, I want it all and evenly balanced. Regards,

I bought a new Nakamichi PA200 amp in 1981 for my first car, and mounted under the front seat, was louder than I ever needed.

Thanks. Am not a bass-thumper anyway, but oddly enough the other amp that I picked up was a Nakamichi PA-1002 amplifier, as I've been a Nak fan since my audio days of the 70's and 80's.

I'm sure the later 80's etc, models were also very good. I was just used to the series with PA200/300/350 etc, and had enough for my cars. They still sell for good money, $100-$200 used most of the time.

I love these retro audio discussions decades before MP3 and music streaming. To this day remember my in dash Concord HPL-505 AM/FM cassette and Fosgate PR-250 pre/power amp driving a/d/s 300i flat panel speakers. You could literally fry eggs on the Fosgate amp if driven hard for a few minutes but this setup would sound good to me today with CD as the source. The glory days and best of home and car audio IMO.

Think I posted this pic before. Bulletproof Pioneer KP-500 for my first semi "high end" system installed in my '70 Ranchero.

PioneerKP-500.jpg

That's a good looking deck, and radio.

Don, that's just a pic I used from Google Images. I actually owned three Supertuners at different times. One TP-500 8 track (IMO worst audio tape format EVER) and two KP-500 cassette. These decks were quite large and would usually fill most glove boxes if they fit at all. Both cassette units were stolen because they were mounted under dash and clearly visible.

Even today, well used KP-500 decks command unbelievable prices for collectors on eBay. Currently, there's only one listed.
Vintage Pioneer KP-500 Car Stereo Radio Cassette Player Super Tuner Tested Works | eBay

Those were the days. I recall my first Jensen 8-track player, later upgraded (?) to a Sparkomatic cassette deck. For awhile I was collecting, and I have several Blaupunkt cassette units squirreled away. Nice to look at and feel nostalgic....

Back