• Register Today It's free!

Column shifter interlock issue

MrPulldown

Reaction score
City, State
Truckeee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, 4wd, 4.6l
When I took possession of our Ex, I was told that in the 13 years or so of ownership that the shifter had a shift lock issue ONCE. It was as if you forgot to push down on the brake pedal and you could not get out of drive. It required using a screw driver and releasing the lock manual via the small hole on the under side of the steering column.

Since owning this car I have never had this issue. This is also the family loaner car. Happened to my mother in law once. And when my brother in law used the car for about 6 months he said it happened almost every time he drove the car. I figured they were all idiots since it has never happened to me.

Well it still hasn't happened to me, but it did my wife. I tend to trust her mechanical judgement on things like this. She said instead of releasing the lock with a screw driver she just shut the car off and started it again and the problem went away. Seems like whatever is causing the issue is happening more and more. I guess it is time I look into it some more.

I had read about the break light switch failing and causing this issue. I have not seen it actually happen to test. Should I just go ahead and replace the switch. Anything else I can check. Hard to trouble shoot when it is so interment. We are beginning to think that it might be heat related. Since we have not had much summer ownership time, and the weather is typically cool in the mountains where we live, it might not be happening here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On our recently sold '04 we had this happen. I was able to determine that the brake light switch was good, since, well, the brake lights always worked. I had to replace a switch mechanism on the shifter itself to resolve this problem. Very easy replacement to do, and the part was cheap. I think it is called something like an interlock device, but it has been a whole since I did this.

When I took possession of our Ex, I was told that in the 13 years or so of ownership that the shifter had a shift lock issue ONCE. It was as if you forgot to push down on the brake pedal and you could not get out of drive. It required using a screw driver and releasing the lock manual via the small hole on the under side of the steering column.

Since owning this car I have never had this issue. This is also the family loaner car. Happened to my mother in law once. And when my brother in law used the car for about 6 months he said it happened almost every time he drove the car. I figured they were all idiots since it has never happened to me.

Well it still hasn't happened to me, but it did my wife. I tend to trust her mechanical judgement on things like this. She said instead of releasing the lock with a screw driver she just shut the car off and started it again and the problem went away. Seems like whatever is causing the issue is happening more and more. I guess it is time I look into it some more.

I had read about the break light switch failing and causing this issue. I have not seen it actually happen to test. Should I just go ahead and replace the switch. Anything else I can check. Hard to trouble shoot when it is so interment. We are beginning to think that it might be heat related. Since we have not had much summer ownership time, and the weather is typically cool in the mountains where we live, it might not be happening here.
@MrPulldown
The actuator which unlocks the shift lever is the flimsiest little P.O.S. design I could have imagined, plus the solenoid which activates the release looks also woefully inadequate. The slightest rubbing or jamming issue, won't take much, will prevent the release from moving. I thought about defeating it altogether, but was actually into the column for another reason, and let it ride. Occasionally, the release fails if the shift lever is pulled down tightly against the detent in PARK position; raising it upwards then depressing the brake pedal has always allowed it to release.

Older Ford products employed a mechanical locking mechanism which locked the lever in PARK when the key was turned to OFF. Sometimes those jammed, too. I suppose the idea is that the vehicle cannot be stolen if locked in PARK. Ha, ya wanna bet? imp

@MrPulldown
The actuator which unlocks the shift lever is the flimsiest little P.O.S. design I could have imagined, plus the solenoid which activates the release looks also woefully inadequate. The slightest rubbing or jamming issue, won't take much, will prevent the release from moving. I thought about defeating it altogether, but was actually into the column for another reason, and let it ride. Occasionally, the release fails if the shift lever is pulled down tightly against the detent in PARK position; raising it upwards then depressing the brake pedal has always allowed it to release.

Older Ford products employed a mechanical locking mechanism which locked the lever in PARK when the key was turned to OFF. Sometimes those jammed, too. I suppose the idea is that the vehicle cannot be stolen if locked in PARK. Ha, ya wanna bet? imp

The idea of the interlocks, is for the idiots that leave their kids in a vehicle alone. It makes it more difficult for the kid to put the vehicle in gear. Now the interlocks are on the ignition, so the vehicle can't be started without depressing the brake pedal.
The Explorer will seem like the shifter is locked, if there is pressure against the parking pawl. This happens when the vehicle rolls slightly after being parked. Rock the vehicle a little, and the shifter will move from park. To help eliminate this from happening, set the parking brake before placing the shifter in park.

On our recently sold '04 we had this happen. I was able to determine that the brake light switch was good, since, well, the brake lights always worked. I had to replace a switch mechanism on the shifter itself to resolve this problem. Very easy replacement to do, and the part was cheap. I think it is called something like an interlock device, but it has been a whole since I did this.

@MrPulldown

Well I have 2 source that have stated the interlock mech can be bad. It will be something that I look into. Thank you gents.

The idea of the interlocks, is for the idiots that leave their kids in a vehicle alone. It makes it more difficult for the kid to put the vehicle in gear. Now the interlocks are on the ignition, so the vehicle can't be started without depressing the brake pedal.
The Explorer will seem like the shifter is locked, if there is pressure against the parking pawl. This happens when the vehicle rolls slightly after being parked. Rock the vehicle a little, and the shifter will move from park. To help eliminate this from happening, set the parking brake before placing the shifter in park.

Funny that no one (or hardly anyone I should say) these days use their parking brake. All of my cars are manual so I grew up setting the parking brake. My wife never does. However when she had the incident the Ex was parked on level ground. There is also a difference in feel between resting on the parking pawl and bumping against the interlock.

I have considered this as a possibility and have advised all parties to use the parking brake (before setting in park) when on a hill.

The part you are looking for is called a Shift Interlock Solenoid. It is not cheap... but it is relatively easy to replace.

What if I just remove it completely?

What if I just remove it completely?
I wouldn't. Without the device then anyone would be able to easy take your truck out of park. Not good..

I wouldn't. Without the device then anyone would be able to easy take your truck out of park. Not good..
@gtyates

How "not good" is it, really? I wonder about this, as from 1964 on no Mustang was ever built with a column shift. The floor shifters for years could be shifted at will, at any time. I have no doubt that recent years have introduced locking mechanisms for them.

What about standard transmissions? If used to "Park", say left in 1st. gear, or reverse gear, I know of none which are locked in place based on key position, or brake pedal. imp

Back