How do I tell when my struts are shot? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I tell when my struts are shot?

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
2006 XLT, with 130,x.. miles. As far as I can tell, it has the original struts. But the front end rumbles down the road somewhat (just had 17" tires re-balanced yesterday) and it seems like I feel every pebble on the road. I don't see any sagging, which is good. I know my Hankook tires are noisier than some, but they weren't that bad awhile ago.

How can I tell if it's time to replace the struts? Quoted $1k for that job at Les Schwabs. What else should I consider, tie rod ends, ball joints?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the struts are original, that means they’re 15 years old. With that many years and 130K+ miles, it’s time to replace them.

I just replaced the OEM struts on my 2010, 135K mile Sport Trac with a set of Monroe Quick Struts. HUGE improvement in ride quality.

1K for struts?!??

Are you able to do them yourself?

1K for struts?!??

Are you able to do them yourself?

I've done struts on a Subaru Legacy and a Ford Contour, but am getting to the point of not wanting to spend all day under another vehicle. Yea, can do them myself, but we'll see.

How about the Rancho Quick-lift strut packages? There's a thread on those here somewhere....What is their ride quality like?

Rancho quick-lift are somewhat stiff with a harsh ride from what I have read, but you may prefer a firm ride.

I had to replace the exhaust manifold studs exactly 3 years ago; it was hot and humid and beat the crap out of me. Knew that it would happen and had been collecting all the parts for several years. Did one side at a time (took several days) and maybe a week between when I did each side. Tore the front suspension out (needed to get my long arms and big head in there) Replaced with new the upper control arms (moog k series), quikstruts (Monroe) lower ball joints (moog), outer tie-rods (moog) and wheel bearings (timken). Then alignment at a Ford dealer. New s/s manifold studs, felpro gaskets with h/t copper silicone and flattened the manifolds with a belt sander. No leaks to this day and maybe had spent 1k total.
Monroe quik-struts in the rear 6/7 years ago. Have kyb struts to swap soon as the Monroe's may be done in.
Last year new Michelin defenders, rear wheel bearings (moog), rear axle seal on one side, pinion seal, new stab links all around (e/s). Ready for the next 10 years. (hope I'm still here).

I recently replaced my 2006 explorer front and rear struts using Moog Quick Struts. I realize my recent frame of reference was 13 year old 140,000 mile parts, but they seem quite harsh.

I replaced all 4 corners on mine with Monroe quick struts ($500 total cost) at 275k miles for the first time since new.
I had no leaks or issues whatsoever, I was expecting a little firmer ride but frankly I did not notice too much of a change.

I guess the shocks can last a long time.
But when I drive my son's 07 with half the miles, his rides much better in my opinion, so go figure.

I've been looking at the KYB Quickstruts. Last time I did shocks on my weekender 97 Dodge Ram I used Monroe's and have hated that ride ever since. My experience with most Rancho's is also that they are a harsh ride, but I'm looking for for OEM quality since this is a daily-driver, not a toy. Anybody use Motorcraft?

The KYB strut-plus appears to have the excel-g strut which is their oem replacement type.. I have the excel-g struts in the front of my mustang with the KYB mono tube shocks in the rear. Ride comfort is factory like. (non spectacular)

One of my rears was leaking a bit, which prompted me to replace all four.

None of mine were leaking but I was getting the bouncy ride and harshness over bumps. I ended up cheaping out and buying the FCS quickstrut and so far I'm happy. They took about 1000 miles before they really settled in and provided a good ride. I wasn't happy at first but they're good now. Replaced the upper and lower control arms (cheapo 1A auto part) and sway bar endlinks & mounts. Did the rear sway bar end links and rear lateral arms. After about 3000 miles I'm really happy with the ride, good as new.

Initially it was a rather stiff ride, but 2 months later, it seems to have settled down

My '07 - 130k Struts were shot. I could tell by the excessive porpoising when I made a stop or went over a speed bump. I changed all four in under four hours with minimal hand tools and a floor jack. Bought loaded struts off Amazon https://amzn.to/2YpLaVU . Do your self a favor though and buy a 13mm ratcheting box wrench. It will save your arms and knuckles.

Back