Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

I bought my wife a nice used 2017 Sport with 12,000 miles, one owner. I saw the tires looked a little bit shredded on the leading edges of the tread blocks, during my first inspection. Two tires appear to be about halfway worn down to the indicators. I did find the Ford memo about weird tire wear, for this vehicle. I took the Ford to the dealer we bought it from, to have them check it out. The service person acted like they didn't know anything about the problem. Funny as soon as she approached the truck, she ran her hand across each tire, to check them. They rotated them, (we had a nail in one tire) and said they would check into warranty with Hankook. This was a Saturday so that was it for the day. They called me a few days later and said manager was doing paperwork and opened a case on them. Ford was giving us a $761.00 tire credit. We had almost 14,000 miles on them when we had it checked. Now I am waiting on them to get their ducks all in a row but so far so good. Wife says it hyroplanes bad on the Hankooks so I am requesting help from Y'all on here, in picking a good sticky all season replacement. Cost is not a factor, we will pay the difference. The tires on it now really perform great. I actually put four new Hankooks, exact same model tire, just 19" on my 2008 Odyssey EX-L as a +3 upgrade with Camaro wheels. Don't ask me why, LOL. They are not showing any problems on the Honda van for over a year of hard use. Maybe the Sport just shreds them, a bad choice for the vehicle? Sorry for so many words, this was my first comments on this great Explorer forum.

20190406_122056.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
This thread may be of interest to you. Time for tires

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
This thread may be of interest to you. Time for tires

Peter
Michelins are what I picked. So far, so good. They don't hydroplane like the OEMs. It does drive a little bit more truck-like. All good here.

Ya, I would say anyone that has had ANY luck with those tires, consider yourself lucky. Those of us with worn tires after 16k miles of normal driving, are not the minority! Shoot, I wrote Brian Cooley on CNET FOR CARS, even he and the mechanic he talked too knew about them. I'm the Kevin B he was speaking too in his story which was pretty darn cool. So, really, if you've had any sort of good miles out of them, consider yourself lucky... OR, you might want to get a tread depth gauge on Amazon :) . I was able to get Discount Tire to replace mine since they were evenly worn at 16,300 miles.

Video:

Tread Depth gauge on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/ITEQ-Portabl...s=gateway&sprefix=tread+depth+,aps,206&sr=8-9

Digital Tread Depth gauge on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Measurement-...s=gateway&sprefix=tread+depth+,aps,206&sr=8-8

That video was very good information, manufacturers do tend to put cheap tires on their vehicles unless its a special vehicle or higher performance options are selected. Our vehicle, with its heavy curb weight and higher than average torque and hp really asks alot from its tires. My advice is to go straight to the dealer and see about replacing them, before they have too many miles on them. My dealer did the right thing and credited us for new replacements. They gave me four tire choices and we are happy with the new Michelin tires. Our tires were about shot at 16,000 miles, it pays to ask, be the squeaky wheel!

I see a LOT of issues with 2016-17 Explorers with the Hankooks. Is it less of a problem in the '18-19 model years? I'm watching mine like a hawk and keeping pressure in the right range but see no issues at 3500 miles.
I had mine replaced at 18k. Ford prorated mine. I pad 360 to have all 4 replaced

I had mine replaced at 18k. Ford prorated mine. I pad 360 to have all 4 replaced
Any idea when you started seeing excessive wear? Obviously the quicker I get this identified as an issue the better off I'll be. It would also be nice to know if these might just last awhile.

Any idea when you started seeing excessive wear? Obviously the quicker I get this identified as an issue the better off I'll be. It would also be nice to know if these might just last awhile.
I was hoping to get the lease term from them, but at around 16k i notice the unusual wear and stuck to it a little longer but they just kept getting worse, so i went to the dealer they check the depth and ford approved a prorated replacement, so tell you that if you still have plenty left on lease go and replace them, so you can get use out of them if you lease , so you don't have turn it back with new tires....

I see a LOT of issues with 2016-17 Explorers with the Hankooks. Is it less of a problem in the '18-19 model years? I'm watching mine like a hawk and keeping pressure in the right range but see no issues at 3500 miles.

Ours is an 18 FWD. Wife drives it so it's babied. I only noticed ours were worn when I took it in to be rotated. Ours were prorated replaced thankfully.

It IS an issue. Ours like others were at 4/32 tread depth at 16,300 miles. At 3/32 Discount Tire lists them as dangerously worn.

at 21,000 miles on the 2017 the hankooks (or should I say handj...'s?) are almost worn out... The dealer said they will make a claim to the manufacturer and that we can pick any tire of our choice.

^^^update:
Dealer installed four new Michelin defenders, mounting balancing, alignment:$1100, hankook covered $720 and Michelin has a $70 rebate, so my final cost will be $310 can’t complain.
Dealer was great as they did the claim and paperwork all themselves, even filed for my $70 rebate

Just remember when you get the rotation from dealer....ASK if Balancing is included....most times they are NOT so you need to know for sure. Costco and NTB are the only major retailers that include rotation AND balancing as part of the tire package. If the dealer charges extra that's one thing but you need to ask. .

If anyone is out of warranty or just doesn't want to go through the hassle of the dealer and fighting with dealer Hankook or both I recommend either Michelin Defender or Bridgestone Dueler I have had mine over 10K and tight as a drum. Holds pressure, alignment and very minimal road noise even during the break in period. I was a long time Michelin person for tires but at the time I ordered there was a major nationwide back order. I waited through the Costco cycle for availability and nothing. The next rebate cycle was Bridgestone and I went with the Duelers about comparable in quality and cost to the Defenders...and in stock.

If anyone is out of warranty or just doesn't want to go through the hassle of the dealer and fighting with dealer Hankook or both I recommend either Michelin Defender or Bridgestone Dueler I have had mine over 10K and tight as a drum. Holds pressure, alignment and very minimal road noise even during the break in period. I was a long time Michelin person for tires but at the time I ordered there was a major nationwide back order. I waited through the Costco cycle for availability and nothing. The next rebate cycle was Bridgestone and I went with the Duelers about comparable in quality and cost to the Defenders...and in stock.

Sooooo, I'm a little confused. You have the Duelers? And have no experience with the Defenders???

I have the Defenders and while the ride quality is good, I'm disappointing with the steering response. A lot duller than the Hankooks.

By the way, there is probably no "fighting with dealer Hankook or both [sic]". My experience was very smooth and non-dramatic, as was my coworkers'.

My tires after roughly 7k miles. They had already replaced the front two and rotated these.

20190115_153755.jpg

20190115_153801.jpg

20190115_153734.jpg

20190115_153739.jpg

20190115_153741.jpg

20190115_153753.jpg

They should all be replaced if you still have them on your Explorer.

Peter

Peter
Exactly! I was curious regarding the age of these, I have Hankooks on my '19 but it's hard to find recent examples of this type of tire wear. Been watching mine closely.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter
Should have clarified, they also were replaced. Took over a month for new tires to come in.

Back