Tesla Style Headunit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tesla Style Headunit

I ordered a tesla style tablet for the Explorer from Rhino Radios. It is android based and cost about $699. You can use it for offline GPS, download apps, backup camera and it has all the hvac and radio functions. Doesnt look to hard to install. Has anyone on here ever tried anything like this?

Link: Ford Explorer 2013 - 2018 12.1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered a tesla style tablet for the Explorer from Rhino Radios. It is android based and cost about $699. You can use it for offline GPS, download apps, backup camera and it has all the hvac and radio functions. Doesnt look to hard to install. Has anyone on here ever tried anything like this?

Link: Ford Explorer 2013 - 2018 12.1

Is it crash tested? I can only imagine what massive glass shards might do in an accident.

I’ve never seen a cracked screen actually come apart. I’m sure it’s no more dangerous than the side windows shattering, or the windshield getting crunched.

I’ve never seen a cracked screen actually come apart. I’m sure it’s no more dangerous than the side windows shattering, or the windshield getting crunched.

If it's safety glass, sure. My worry is whether it is or not. It does look pretty neat and they have a 360 camera add on too, which would be nice.

I’ve never seen a tablets glass come out. It’s glued in and shatters in place. If an accident was violent enough to break the glass and send it airborn, I’m betting it’s not going to be the major issue.

A full coffee mug or anything in the cargo area is almost certainly going to be much more dangerous. I’d trust that tablet 100x over a frozen turkey.

I ordered one but in the email response one of the employees said that my 14 Explorer with the Sync 3 small screen I would need to buy an “A/C control module” from a pre-2016 explorer that had an 8” screen before the Tesla style tablet will work. Does anyone here know the part number for the A/C control module on a pre-2016 explorer with an 8” screen? Does anyone also know how difficult it is to swap the A/C control module out?
Thanks

Are you sure you didn't mean Sync 2? A 2014 didn't have Sync 3. Did you try checking out Shop For Parts By Year | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter
Thanks, I meant Sync 2. I found an AC control module for the car a a junkyard which is great, but now reading the instructions, it looks like I need the actual ac control faceplate that is right underneath the navigation on the 8" screen. Quite a price difference. I am waiting for them to tell me which one it is so I can buy and test it. At least they have a 30 day refund.

I was thinking about changing the display to one of the large displays by phoenix tech?

I am curious if the onboard 4G cellular modem still works or is part of the parts removed in the exchange.

Anyone know?

I was thinking about changing the display to one of the large displays by phoenix tech?

I am curious if the onboard 4G cellular modem still works or is part of the parts removed in the exchange.

Anyone know?
Do you have a link to what you are looking at using?

I installed it about 2 months ago. It took me 2.5hrs to install and I would give it a 5/10 on complexity. Its not the fastest tablet in the world but its good for maps/navigation, bluetooth and it just looks pretty darn cool. One of the service advisors at Ford thought it was cool. There is no 4G on mine. Mine is hooked ip via wifi to my Tmobile sync device

I installed it about 2 months ago. It took me 2.5hrs to install and I would give it a 5/10 on complexity. Its not the fastest tablet in the world but its good for maps/navigation, bluetooth and it just looks pretty darn cool. One of the service advisors at Ford thought it was cool. There is no 4G on mine. Mine is hooked ip via wifi to my Tmobile sync device

Thanks for the confirmation.

I just got an email from Phoenix stating the 4G modem does not work after the replacement. They didn't clarify if it is part of the radio that is replaced or if it is just not supported.

Hi Chris. Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

I found this in my searches for viable stereo upgrades. Was wondering if anyone has tried this, theres a non-auto ac option that looks like it would work just cautious on pulling the trigger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A quick Forum search found these; Tesla Style Headunit

Peter

Back