Random Starting and Shifter issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Random Starting and Shifter issues

SJExplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philly Burbs, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘17 Sport
This has been an ongoing issue for at least 16 months, and the dealer is even scratching their head. My wife's '16 EX Limited randomly gets "stuck" in Park. If you shut it off and try to restart, either nothing will happen, or you have to hold the PTS button for 3-5 seconds. The light in it will blink rapidly, then finally start, but the shifter is still stuck in park. At this point they have replaced the brake switch, neutral safety switch (actuated solenoid under the shift lever) and the battery. The last two were changed less than 3 weeks ago, and it left her stuck again last night. It randomly goes away, and the vehicle starts and shifts into gear like there was never an issue. There are no warnings displayed on the left side of the cluster, so this is a different behavior than the "Shift to Park" issue.

Has anyone had this issue, and how was it resolved. At this point the dealer wants the vehicle for the week next week to put a data logger on it and drive it regularly. Just trying to find out if anyone else has experienced the issue.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they replaced all those parts, I'm curious why they didn't replace the shifter to totally eliminate it? The next time it won't start, try moving the shifter into Neutral and see if it will start normally.

Peter

They said it seems that the neutral safety switch isn’t getting the signal to allow the shifter to move. Meaning the solenoid isn’t actuating and allowing the button to be fully depressed to shift out of park. Despite the part being 3 weeks old.

Forgot to add that the shifter won't move even if it is started. Then it will randomly work after an hour or so.

Forgot to add that the shifter won't move even if it is started. Then it will randomly work after an hour or so.
When you said they replaced the "brake switch". Was the Brake Shift Interlock" lever? That lever is used to move the shifter out of Park when the electronics fail.

Peter

No, the button under the brake pedal that detects the brake being pressed to start or shift.
It isn’t our problem anymore. Traded it in this afternoon.

I guess that's one way of getting rid of a problem. Don't forget to update your profile.

Peter

I still have my ‘17 Sport. That one isn’t going anywhere.

Back