21" Pirelli Tires

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Ok, so already thinking ahead of how ridiculous the cost will be on replacing the 4 tires lol. So I decided to go to tirerack.com and see what the replacement cost is.

With that, I found 2 different Pirelli All season Tires, 1 has their PNCS (Pirelli Noise Cancelling System) and 1 does not.

PNCS $360 per tire
Non PNCS $289 per tire.

So.. the question is.. with Ford advertising the Explorer as being the quietest ever, did they cough up the extra money for the PNCS tires? I wonder how many miles we will bet getting on these 45 series tires lol.

For those who never heard of the PNCS (I didn't) here is a link to a small video on it. Essentially it is a sponge within the road contact surface that absorbs the road noise so it doesn't transmit to the cabin.

PNCS - Pirelli Noise Cancelling System | Pirelli

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any idea the brand of tires for 20 inch

There was a thread mentioning that the Explorer would have Michelin run-flat tires.

Peter

I can't image they decided to put the pirelli noise suppression tires on. Might have but I hear they make a very dramatic difference. TO clear up something that might be lost in the conversation.

With tires like alot of things you get 3 part tradeoffs. Ride softness, road noise, Grip, and you could make it 4 to say grip in all conditions but let's not get too deep.

anywho - when I help people with tires I often have to ask how aggressive they drive as people not used to performance oriented tires complain about either the harshness or the noise.

Case in point here. If you want that max lateral grip - it comes at a cost in dollars, but it also often comes at a cost of noise, or harshness. Harshness if often the sidewall thickness and overall tire stiffness - but as you get wider it's less of a issue. More often than not on todays sport oriented vehicle - the differences in the tires comes to grip vs noise. some do it different ways but when it comes to wet grip you have to have the patterns in the tires to pump the water away.

With aggressive tread patterns comes noise. I suspect those pirelli tires are more intended for the newest BMW X5 and that new Alfa SUV. So on the surface I suspect the Explorer tire won't have the noise system. But I bet it's on the LIncoln.

I could be wrong. I'll say this I don't know I'd buy them either, if it was me. I've yet to test drive a new explorer but from what I hear one of the big things in the design is added underfloor sound deadening. with going back to RWD - and getting the wheels a little further away from the front passengers I also see the noise going down.

I can't image they decided to put the pirelli noise suppression tires on. Might have but I hear they make a very dramatic difference. TO clear up something that might be lost in the conversation.

With tires like alot of things you get 3 part tradeoffs. Ride softness, road noise, Grip, and you could make it 4 to say grip in all conditions but let's not get too deep.

anywho - when I help people with tires I often have to ask how aggressive they drive as people not used to performance oriented tires complain about either the harshness or the noise.

Case in point here. If you want that max lateral grip - it comes at a cost in dollars, but it also often comes at a cost of noise, or harshness. Harshness if often the sidewall thickness and overall tire stiffness - but as you get wider it's less of a issue. More often than not on todays sport oriented vehicle - the differences in the tires comes to grip vs noise. some do it different ways but when it comes to wet grip you have to have the patterns in the tires to pump the water away.

With aggressive tread patterns comes noise. I suspect those pirelli tires are more intended for the newest BMW X5 and that new Alfa SUV. So on the surface I suspect the Explorer tire won't have the noise system. But I bet it's on the LIncoln.

I could be wrong. I'll say this I don't know I'd buy them either, if it was me. I've yet to test drive a new explorer but from what I hear one of the big things in the design is added underfloor sound deadening. with going back to RWD - and getting the wheels a little further away from the front passengers I also see the noise going down.

Well Ford did say it is the quietest Explorer ever and worked to make it essentially mute (my term, not theirs). That is the only reason I question if Ford put them on. I have never heard of it before searching for replacement cost. Not sure I'd go and spend $1,500 on replacements.

I am hoping to get close to 50k on each set like I did with my 11. Not so sure with these 21s.

Yeah I know - I mean I like a quite tire too. I actually prefer my Michelin's Premiers over the Defender LTX's I got this last time. They were that touch quieter on the road. I expected that but after a few months I do sort of miss it.

They aren't annoying loud like the Kumho's were.

I have Continentals on one car, and Michelins on another. And I always cross shop with bridgestones and I don't even look at goodyear anymore -which honestly makes be a but sad. Pirelli is goodyear by the way - or they are linked corporately. whatever.

Curious - what is the tire planned on the XLT with 20's. vs what's on the platnium? DO you know. That might point to a plan.

On one of the videos on the ST, I saw Scorpion on the tire. Could not make out which series of the tire.

Peter

Back