Have you checked your PTU fluid level/replaced your fluid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have you checked your PTU fluid level/replaced your fluid?

KayGee

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
I had been meaning to check the PTU fluid in my 2016 that has ~15K miles and just got around to that last night.

I was a little shocked to find that only 8 oz of fluid drained from the unit. Fluid wasn't too bad looking though and was mostly translucent. There was a pretty big ball of metal shavings on the drain plug. I was able to refill with almost 18 oz of new fluid, so it should be good to go for a while.

Mine is a 3.7L and it was somewhat tight getting the top bolt for the sensor shield loosened enough to move the shield out of the way to remove the sensor from the fill hole. The catalytic converter for the rear bank is literally right in the way and there is less than an inch to get a makeshift tool in there. I used a 1/4 inch box end wrench with a cut down t-30 bit wedged into it as nothing else would fit. Luckily it just needs to be loosened and not removed - once loosened, the shield will pivot on the back bolt which is more accessible with a socket wrench and t-30 bit.

If this is how these are being filled from the factory, and most are assuming they are "filled for life", it's no wonder these PTUs can't survive longer term.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never checked the fluid, but I've had to replace about 5 PTUs in a fleet with 6 PIUs since 2013

According to Ford, the PTU is not supposed to be serviceable, which means the fluid doesn't need to be checked or changed for the life of the part. If you're low, then you have a leak from the PTU seals. Replace those ASAP, or you're looking at replacing the PTU.

I discovered my leak far too late and my PTU was toast. It started making a low whistling noise above 40mph and got gradually louder over time. After about 3 months of that, it finally started making awful noises one day after taking a corner hard onto an onramp.

Cost me $1800 to replace it.

According to Ford, the PTU is not supposed to be serviceable, which means the fluid doesn't need to be checked or changed for the life of the part. If you're low, then you have a leak from the PTU seals. Replace those ASAP, or you're looking at replacing the PTU.

I discovered my leak far too late and my PTU was toast. It started making a low whistling noise above 40mph and got gradually louder over time. After about 3 months of that, it finally started making awful noises one day after taking a corner hard onto an onramp.

Cost me $1800 to replace it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Although Ford does mention that there are many here who will disagree. There are several threads about the PTU including one on how to change the fluid and others about having it tested. Be prepared for a few comments.;)

Peter

Neither of mine have any leaks. The 16 was likely underfilled from the factory. I haven't checked my 17 yet, but will soon.

Because of this thread, I asked the dealer to service the PTU on a '14 unmarked that was in for brakes. They were happy to do it and reported it appeared to be low on fluid and what they got out of it wasn't pretty. Glad I had it checked.

Because of this thread, I asked the dealer to service the PTU on a '14 unmarked that was in for brakes. They were happy to do it and reported it appeared to be low on fluid and what they got out of it wasn't pretty. Glad I had it checked.

If you can share, what was the cost of the fluid change?

I have almost 70,000 hard miles on mine and 5,300 hours. I have never had mine replaced or even checked. Now I am worried.

This is the drain plug from a '17 with ~12K miles.
RtolrOg.png

Clean drain plug for reference.
6sslICk.png

Similar story to my '16 - only got out about 9-10 ounces of fluid, mostly transparent/honey color - was able to put about 16-18 back in.

My 2015 3.5L just turned over 50,000 miles so I decided to change my PTU fluid. I was able to get about 10oz. out. Refilled with about 17oz. Nice thing was the old fluid didn't look too bad. I think I'll do it again in 25,000 miles.

So I recently changed tires from the Goodyear Eagle Ultras my 2015 came with over to the Eagle Defenders. So far I like them, but as they are much quieter than the Ultras.... I can hear a slight whine that varies depending on whether coasting or accelerating and I am thinking PTU. At just over 40,000 miles and no real idea of prior service, thinking of doing a PTU fluid change. I have no lift or vacuum pump and mine is late 2015 build, so thinking of Ford service to do the change. Thoughts??

Yeah how much did it cost?

Yeah how much did it cost?
Sorry for the delay. It was $400 for a fleet vehicle because they dropped the exhaust to do it ( if you know what you’re doing you don’t have to ) I now use a dealer mechanic that does it for less than $200. I may put my own ‘18 on the my lift and make a video.

I just replaced the fluid on my '16 PIU using the methods described on this forum for the '16 Sport (ecoboost). Went perfectly, but mine has a drain plug which made it a bit easier. Adding a new vent tube blind and the slow going of fluid transfer were the only obstacles.

Total cost was around $15-20, and about 2 hours (1 hour of work, 1 hours of waiting for misc things like draining and re-adding fluid).

I had no luck getting access to the drain plug on a '13 as it looked impossible to actually get a tool in there. If someone could do a better writeup or video on doing that step it would be appreciated. I did a drain and added in the same amount as I added in, under the assumption it was properly filled to begin with. Adding the fill tube to the top vent was easy, but took a long time to let the fluid drain down the tube.

I had no luck getting access to the drain plug on a '13 as it looked impossible to actually get a tool in there. If someone could do a better writeup or video on doing that step it would be appreciated. I did a drain and added in the same amount as I added in, under the assumption it was properly filled to begin with. Adding the fill tube to the top vent was easy, but took a long time to let the fluid drain down the tube.
I would not assume to add back only amount you drained out. Read up and you might find many ptu's are underfilled and that is part of problem. Check your manual, but I think 15 ozs is amount.

I would not assume to add back only amount you drained out. Read up and you might find many ptu's are underfilled and that is part of problem. Check your manual, but I think 15 ozs is amount.
18ozs from what I remember. It will be under 'capacities and specifications' in an owners manual. Might want to double check the fleet manual just to be sure.

The fluid is very thick and I wonder if its low filled because it expands so much under heat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

18ozs from what I remember. It will be under 'capacities and specifications' in an owners manual. Might want to double check the fleet manual just to be sure.

The fluid is very thick and I wonder if its low filled because it expands so much under heat.
I stand corrected, thank you, was not sure all years held same amount. Given that unit has a "vent tube" is it really possible to overfill? I mean all it might do is burp out a little and be a bit of a mess. Thoughts??

Back