Is this body mount ok? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this body mount ok?

Are your tires the issue, maybe?

What are you using? How old are they?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ Agree. OP's top bushing appears to be the orange colored MCU foam commonly used on 2001-03 two door Sports and 2001-05 Sport Tracs. If you look at the pics linked below, the foam tends to compress and shrink with time causing issues. I'm confused because I thought 2002-05 four doors used only rubber body mounts in all ten locations. New Zealand model?
Body Mount Shrinkage and Compression

Dorman aftermarket rubber replacements are the only non OE mounts available. Have not seen Prothane or Daystar polyurethane kits for the 2002-05 Gen 3.
2005 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Body Mount | RockAuto
I concur...only Dorman makes non-OE mounts and it seems Ford no longer sells them for position 2 or B...

Hi all thanks for the replies. Domct203, yeah I hear you, looks like a nightmare, so I'll only get involved if I am sure it will help. I do have a welder, so I like the idea of just tacking on a bit of tube or bar to hold it. I haven't seen one of these in pieces, from what you are saying the top bolt is just a normal bolt (not captive or locking tabs etc) and it is the bottom flat bit that spins around? And vice grips would not be enough to hold it in place?
Toypaseo - I got new tyres when I got it about 4k miles ago, about 9 months ago. Stock sizing, they are Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV's I think. They had a fairly good reputation when I picked them. Standard tire pressure, I think 36psi? I have tried higher and lower pressure, but for not much difference in ride I went back to the manufacturers specs.
mbed - great isn't it, position 2 or B seems to be the problem on my car, and ford doesn't support it? Crazy...

There is really not much to grab with standard vise grips. I tried an oil filter style, it worked well if I ground a few notches into the threaded washer so it could get a better bite, but on the really tough mounts it would just twist and pop off. If you look closely at the picture I posted of the broken mount, you can see how chewed up the part is from trying to hold it. Also note the area around the bolt, that fit into a matching shaped hole in the frame mount (the mount is upside down in that picture). This means that you can’t just simply remove the bolt and slide out the mount. You need to raise the body off of the mount so you can lift the mount out of the frame.

Locking Oil Filter Wrench

The lock-tite used from the factory is ridiculous, add in 16 years of rust and you got quite a strong bond between fasteners. I started applying PB Blaster 2 weeks before I did the lift, spraying each mount every few days. We heated the bolt from the bottom until the oil started smoking then went at it with an impact gun. It took two of us 8 hours to install the body lift, which is pretty much the same as changing the body mounts.

Lot's of good info, domct203. Problem is ALL the body mount bolts on one side must be loosened or removed to check the mounts in each location. A good test to check for cab movement is turning into driveways when the body flexes. If you have loose or worn body mounts they will almost always squeak or groan caused by movement or shifting. This may not be relevant since OP eddieV8nz hasn't mentioned any noises.

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Ford Explorer and Sport Trac Frame/Body Cushions

Hmmm, dont think body mounts should be doing this:

hiya again, sorry I haven't managed to get a video yet of the mount, hopefully will get something this weekend. I can say its nowhere near as bad as Joe in NY! Thanks for posting that video, I presume thats the 2004 V8 four door? And the second mount? so its looks like those four under the main cabin are the foam ones, and I am not the first to experience potential (or actual) failure.
SWSHawaii, no I don't have any noises. When I turn into my driveway it rocks one way, then the other way, then back the first way etc. I thought initially this was bad shocks, but replacing them didn't stop that. Is this just a Ford feature? Thats why I though maybe the movement I am seeing in the mount might be what is allowing it to sway side to side.
domct203 - I am still trying to avoid this job - I'm also going to investigate control arm bushes as that job seems more approachable. Is there anyway to be sure about the control arms, they seem fine can't get them to move so are there any tricks to find out for certain?

Hi Joe, sorry I should have asked, did you have any feeling in the cabin that the mounts were gone like that? Swaying or vibration going over bumps? I hear the potholes in NY can be an adventure...

Hi Joe, sorry I should have asked, did you have any feeling in the cabin that the mounts were gone like that? Swaying or vibration going over bumps? I hear the potholes in NY can be an adventure...

It's an early build 2002 V8 and I'm looking at the mount right below the driver's footwell. I don't notice any odd vibrations or noises that suggest the mounts are gone oddly enough...

hmm, thanks for the reply, I think that has to mean I'm looking in the wrong place, if mounts as bad as yours weren't really causing a noticeable problem. Bugger I thought I was onto something. Oh well keep looking, thanks again Joe

Hi
good to see another kiwi here.
Did you go ahead with the body mounts? reason I ask is that my wife's explorer (2006 V8 with 320kms) has developed shaking in the doors when going around corners with corrugations on the surface. sounds like the doors are not shut properly. Thought it may be worn shocks etc, but now gravitating towards the body mounts.

Heya Kiwi Sam, its great to see I'm not alone! Not much support down this way for the Explorers. No, I haven't gone ahead with the body mounts yet, everyones replies here seemed to point elsewhere, but it wasn't until Joe from NY showed that video and said he didn't notice any reduction in ride quality that I finally accepted I was most likely barking up the wrong tree. If it was cheaper I would prolly give it a go, but it looks like it would be around a grand to replace the lot. Too much for a punt.
I tried new struts on mine, made it much worse I think cos the slightly soft springs mask the judder a bit.
On another topic, did you sort out your creaky center console?

Hi, no still have the creaky console, just turn up the stereo!
Will likely try another console, tried other explorers and all seem to be ok in that respect.
With regard to the body mounts, have you thought about getting some made up? not sure where in NZ you are but there are several plastics engineering places around that may be able to make up something. A friend cast his own suspension mounts in polyurathane a few years back and recall there being several hardness levels available. Some good utube videos on this as well.

Back