Front lower ball joints

domct203

Pilots The Beast
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
While I have the front end apart to do wheel bearings I planned to change the lower ball joints (upper were done last spring).

I plan to use Moog greasable units, but I’m not sure if I should just go with the +.006” oversize ones or not.

I don’t want to wait until I press out the old ones before I order the new ones.

My gut tells me just go with the oversized, it’s only .006” and the lower arms are steel anyway.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I haven't played with the ball joints on my explorer, I will say that once you go to the over sized joints you only have two options if they wear out; new arms or weld. My .02 is that you should buy the joints at the local parts store then pull one apart, try one and see how it fits. If you press the joint out and in, then the new stock sized ones should be fine. If you bang the old ones out, you will probably need the over sized joint.

Press them out don't bang them out . FYI .

Curious if you get two of the same style from RA. Moog apparently changed the boot design when I got mine.

Curious if you get two of the same style from RA. Moog apparently changed the boot design when I got mine.

Yes they have a smaller boot now. It actually helps out because many people would manage to pinch a hole in the older bigger boots when installing and they'd get water in them more commonly and wear out.

I have a ball joint service kit, only way to go. Did the uppers with the control arms in the truck.

I’ll let you know if they are new or old style, same (pair) or different.

I got mine maybe two years ago, but out of 3 i got two olds and one new.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what would the advantage to oversized ball joints be?

Yes they have a smaller boot now. It actually helps out because many people would manage to pinch a hole in the older bigger boots when installing and they'd get water in them more commonly and wear out.

So,
@boominXplorer and @swshawaii you guys are happy with the Moog problem solver design?

As mentioned above I have run into the "pinched boot" problem myself.

Since I've pulled next week as vacation and it hotter than Rat Poop down here in the south one of my bucket list projects is to get moving on painting my forward section frame.

Therefore the LCA's will come out and get new ball joints and bushings after the POR-15 is dry.

Thanks,
Chris

Moog ball joints have a good warranty and are pretty much the best thing you can get at a brick and mortar store.

AutoZone / Federal is has a new heavy duty line coming out with about 100 part numbers that consist of the most popular models, I'm sure ours will be in there as the display one looks like it. Their display is a Moog joint and one of theirs with same part number cut in half showing the bigger ball, washers and do on.

If I had time to order parts I'd probably choose Mcquay Norris though, they lasted a very long time daily driving on 35s for me.

@shucker1

Ditto boomin. I've always believed Moog (Problem Solver) premium suspension parts offered the most bang for the buck. However, I've never had long term reliability with their neoprene dust boots. Haven't used the new design with the integral boots yet, but will likely use them when mine blow out since the older style boots were never available separately. I replaced outer TRE's with Moog Problem Solvers (ES3667) in 2017 and the boots are already showing signs of distress. Hopefully Moog will find a way to use the integral boot design for other parts that use conventional dust boots.

Moog k8695t lower ball joint redesign

@boominXplorer ,

Thanks.

Main seller on the Moog was the bootless design for me so I don't pinch the boot on re-installation.

@swshawaii ,

Saw a lot of that too when I was in the automotive repair field.

Plenty of ball joints and such that had so much grease coming out it looked like an ant hill.

All it takes is just a little bit to push out and you are good to go.

Thanks,
Chris

Sirs,

Finally got around to pulling the LCA's out for blasting and repainting.

Ordered the Standard Moog size K8695T units before tear down.

Measured New ball joint OD at 1.755 and LCA socket at 1.750 so I've got .005 interference.

If I go to the .006 oversize units I assume this will give me .011 interference correct?

Seems like a lot to me.

Opinions welcome.

The standard K8695T should be fine. That’s what I used and they were a nice snug fit.

.011” would be too much IMO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks @domct203 ,

I was thinking the same thing but it never hurts to ask.

Imagine the force on that LCA socket with .011 interference fit?

Back