2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 6cyldr 4w dr | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 6cyldr 4w dr

Tracy1937

Reaction score
City, State
Griffith, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Exp. Sprt Trac
My trucks had problems for a while. Turning over but not starting. Have had I ty towed many times. Shop and battery was dead. Here I am again. Checked the fuel shut off that's fine. Battery fine. Problems started last February with turning off truck speakers stayed on. That went on for days until we took that fuse out. While driving I had heard a pop sound from hazard button. Ever since then signals work only if you hold down the hazard part way hit turn signal will work only like that. Five times or more since then sound from speakers and truck won't start but turns over. I think it's a wiring problem in the steering column. Any advice on how to fix and get her running again appreciatd. Ongoing issue for months. So much as I added towing. But they always charge overnight and say it was the battery. I know it's not. It started with speakers than hazard switch. I think entire reason it's not starting is with a wiring problem. I'm 52 on disability and need directions on how to fix. Or if I'm wrong please let me know. Thanks Tracy

There is a known issue with the multi function switch (MFS) connector being too short from the factory that causes shorting and intermittent problems. IF you have a tilt column move it all the way up and down several times leaving it all the way UP. If that helps you likely have an MFS connector problem. Keep posted and good luck.
https://www.sporttrac.org/mysporttrac.../steering_column_wiring_repair_gen1.pdf

Type "MFS Connector" in the 2001-05 ST sub forum in the search box below your name.
2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

Back