96 EB 4r55e,4.0 OHV. Loss of transmission gears | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 EB 4r55e,4.0 OHV. Loss of transmission gears

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
OK. Been a long day.
My vacation was cut short due to not reaching my destination.

We left Las Vegas and was traveling downhill (I-15 Cajon Pass, Phelan,CA) at about 65-70 mph when we here a strange noise.Whizzing, PSSST sound??

I look down and the engine rpm is near idle. I press the accelerator and the trans bumps and shudders a bit.
I then lost all gears. We were able to coast downhill and exit right and stop in a gas station.
No forward gears and no reverse. Trans will not hold vehicle in park. Had the Explorer towed the 200 miles back home...don't ask $$$. No choice really. We also had our 2 Labs with us.

It was rebuilt once about 4 yrs ago. I presume the trans will need a rebuild. What broken parts should I be looking for? What are the common causes for loss of all gears, forward and reverse?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Being that the trans will not hold vehicle in "PARK", I would suspect a breakage in the drive line after the transmission, possible problem inside the t-case, drive shaft, u-joints or differential.

Being that the trans will not hold vehicle in "PARK", I would suspect a breakage in the drive line after the transmission, possible problem inside the t-case, drive shaft, u-joints or differential.

Thanks for the starting point. I will check with some of my transmission shop connections and ask some questions.

More info..
With engine running. Trans will make a "Buzzing rattle" when trying to shift trans into PARK, like a parking pawl isn't able to engage due to something spinning.
It will go into PARK position with engine off but will not hold vehicle.

As stated above. Transfer case is most likely culprit. Have you tried activating the 4x4 if you you can?

OK..Just went out and checked it out.
Trans engages when put into 4x4 Low.
4x4 High - No engagement
2WD - No engagement.

OK..Just went out and checked it out.
Trans engages when put into 4x4 Low.
4x4 High - No engagement
2WD - No engagement.

The problem is inside the t-case. The transmission itself is probably ok, but something broke inside the t-case itself if you have only 4x4 low.

for your viewing....turn up volume and you can hear the noises coming from the trans..or this case... transfer case.

Again No movement unless in 4x4 Low but it still pops and shudders when moving it.

I think it is safe to say you need a new t case :) the control trac awd unit wears out in time. It can be repaired or replaced. You can also consider a conrtol trac delete and install a 1354e t case, without the control trac awd feature. The 1354 t case is much more stout and does not have these issues.
This is good news as the t case is far cheaper and easier to replace then the transmission
I would drain the case, see whats inside, I bet you find small pieces of plastic (white nylon)

I just want to keep the vehicle driveline stock. I don't want any waning lights flashing or remaining lit all the time.
I plan on getting some quotes but it looks like I'll be doing the job myself more than likely.
My next days off I'll head out to the local pic a part and check for used t/c's. Prices are under $200.

Problem is the limited years I have to work with.
My understanding is, The exact BW4405 for my vehicle is only the 95-96 model years.
I also can use a 97 bw4405 but will need the front? driveshaft as well. - Can anyone confirm this info?
I also believe I can not use the 4405 from 1998-2001 Explorers because they have no speed sensor in the t/c.

I had a similar problem not long ago. Going down hill or coasting I would get a loud "whizzing" or "buzzing" noise. It ended up being the transfer case... the fluid inside had dried out and would not let the shift fork move easily, causing the buzzing noise. I rebuilt the transfer case for just a few bucks in replacement parts. If you are handy with tools and can drop your TC it is not hard to rebuild yourself. A lot cheaper than going to the mechanic or buying a used one that you don't know what is inside.
I do believe that the BW4405 is just for the 95-96 year.

For anyone reading this, now is a good time to change your Tcase fluid! Use regular Mercon (NOT MERCON V). It is pretty easy to do. I think there is a 30K or 60K service interval.

I wasn’t aware Mercon was still available. Do you have a product number or picture?
Brad

Regular Mercon is still available? I was always advised to use the Mercon V.

Regular Mercon is still available? I was always advised to use the Mercon V.

Pretty sure Mercon is Dex/Merc fluid now.
I plan on using Castrol Transmax DEX/MERC Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Thanks for the information.

Got a transfer case on the way. Should be back on the road soon.......apparently not soon enough though.

To add insult... Not sure if it was a roving patrol or my butthead neighbor complaining...Got a notice in the mail from the city code enforcement.
Henderson NV PMC 15.12.030 - Blah,blah,...Parking violation for side and front yards....blah,blah...

XrZbGtm.jpg

Been there for a week. I put it on the side so we could drive cars in and out of garage without doing the car shuffle.
It's now in the driveway.
If I find out it was the neighbors..well..their's is parked with 80% of their vehicle not on the driveway....

wmuX4kG.jpg

Your neighbors concrete looks to have been formed incorrectly, slope should've gone the entire width of his concrete driveway.

Temps in the high 90's, Started working on the Explorer today.T/C should be arriving Wed or Thurs.

Drained case...about 1 qt dirty ATF drained out. Pulled 1 small piece of plastic out of drain hole.

I think I have everything disconnected except for 2 transfer to transmission bolts.

qPGpgvg.jpg

AYtjNM6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Around 7pm...Braved the 100+ temp and got the case dropped out...Got a friend coming to help stick the case Monday. Should be back up by then.

mZ4ucCI.jpg

Back