Warranty on Ford Battery? 2016 Exp Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warranty on Ford Battery? 2016 Exp Sport

........................................To the OP if the battery has low cranking amps, but still starts the EX, then I would not worry about it. You will be driving on a major interstate in the spring or summer so the cold weather won't hurt the starting power. If you feel it needs to be replaced I would use the Advanced Auto Gold. Register on their site and they will send you a 25% off coupon.

Mike

Thanks for this! I was mad about this whole situation. Not to mention the dealer said my air filter and cabin air filter were dirty, YET at the very last oil change I marched into Auto Zone and bought both because that was their recommendation too. How could they be dirty after 7500 miles? Went in, verified with them when I bought them (last fall), and they tested the battery for me. Absolutely FINE. SO even though I'm bothered something may be wrong and it's a ticking time bomb, I'm going with the fact that this dealer is trying to make some $$. Still makes me mad.

Thanks to all who responded. My grandpa used to work for Ford as well as many of our neighbors did. Love being part of a great Ford Family! You guys rock!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for this!

However, the repair was done May 28th of last year. So it didn't even hit the 1 year mark. I have no idea how many miles were on it at that time. It has 38k miles on it now. I don't quite average 1k a month, so it can't be that either. So my car is covered out to 5 years with the extended warranty, but he specifically said they treat the first 3/36 warranty differently in that whole period.

So my thing was, shouldn't they have at least had a warranty on this battery as a product?

Battery is covered 1yr/12k. There is a process (I forget the term for a repair that went bad) for the dealer to submit to Ford and get it replaced.

An extended warranty does not cover batteries.

My battery did NOT last 10 months on my '18 Platinum.

Failed on me, had it checked at an AutoZone and then STRAIGHT to the dealer. An hour or so later, back on the road.

Hard to believe that a battery would not last at least a year.

Thanks for this! I was mad about this whole situation. Not to mention the dealer said my air filter and cabin air filter were dirty, YET at the very last oil change I marched into Auto Zone and bought both because that was their recommendation too. How could they be dirty after 7500 miles? Went in, verified with them when I bought them (last fall), and they tested the battery for me. Absolutely FINE. SO even though I'm bothered something may be wrong and it's a ticking time bomb, I'm going with the fact that this dealer is trying to make some $$. Still makes me mad.

Thanks to all who responded. My grandpa used to work for Ford as well as many of our neighbors did. Love being part of a great Ford Family! You guys rock!
An air filter can surely be dirty at 7500 miles. They are cheap insurance and are as important to your engines fitness as clean oil.

It has nothing to do with the explorer, but it has to do with batteries and various "coverings/insulations/foam" that the OEMs may choose to put on or around them. If it serves no legitimate purpose, why wouldn't an oem get rid of it to save a few pennies? I work in automotive and with the way many companies pinch pennies, I'm amazed they can unclench their buttocks long enough to relieve themselves of their poo. Then again, maybe pinching one out is good practice for pinching pennies?

As far as the forum, why should I mute people or leave? Maybe you should take your own advice. I happen to think the red green show is funny and so is this forum. I get at least a dozen or so laughs from here each day. Plus, it beats therapy and helps keep the voices in my head at bay for a little while each day.

Now back to batteries and how crappy the explorer is with them so everyone can share their story and others can agree or disagree some more...
Just because an auto manufacturer includes something doesn’t mean it makes sense. Ford wasted plenty of pennies adding tow hooks to toolkits for cars with no place to attach them. Fords engineering and problem solving have been dismal as of late and just because Ford included it doesn’t mean anything to me. In certain circumstances I’m sure the mat can hold temperature in just as it can keep it out.

As for my leaving, naw I’ll pass. I never talk down on the site, and have been a supporting member for over a decade.

Long post ahead.

There were so many battery threads, I decided to post in the last one I was in. I mentioned above it was getting weak.

The battery on my 14 Sport finally died. ~5 year and 3 months after I bought it. Just over 82k miles.

I think what did it in was my kid left a DVD player on in the back( plugged into 12v socket) and I didn't drive it for a few days. I got the battery saver message when I shut it off the first few times after that incident. I did put it on a charger for a bit and the message went away.

Yesterday is was (only) about 85F out. Hit the remote start to get the AC on as I walked across the parking lot. I heard the starter kick on for a split second then stop. When I got to it, I had to use the little key in the fob to open...nothing worked. Slowly it came back on, with some weird activity, like emergency flashers started to flash.

Tried to jump it, but we either had crappy cables or it was just that dead. It would just click when I hit the start button.

Anyway, since I needed a battery right then, ran over to O'Reilly's and grabbed one. 850 CCA with 3 year warranty for $159.

Popped it in and was back in business. I didn't even have to reset my radio presets. I did lose my equalizer setting and some dash display setting, but most things were saved. I need to check, but I don't think I had to even set the clock.

Long post ahead.

There were so many battery threads, I decided to post in the last one I was in. I mentioned above it was getting weak.

The battery on my 14 Sport finally died. ~5 year and 3 months after I bought it. Just over 82k miles.

I think what did it in was my kid left a DVD player on in the back( plugged into 12v socket) and I didn't drive it for a few days. I got the battery saver message when I shut it off the first few times after that incident. I did put it on a charger for a bit and the message went away.

Yesterday is was (only) about 85F out. Hit the remote start to get the AC on as I walked across the parking lot. I heard the starter kick on for a split second then stop. When I got to it, I had to use the little key in the fob to open...nothing worked. Slowly it came back on, with some weird activity, like emergency flashers started to flash.

Tried to jump it, but we either had crappy cables or it was just that dead. It would just click when I hit the start button.

Anyway, since I needed a battery right then, ran over to O'Reilly's and grabbed one. 850 CCA with 3 year warranty for $159.

Popped it in and was back in business. I didn't even have to reset my radio presets. I did lose my equalizer setting and some dash display setting, but most things were saved. I need to check, but I don't think I had to even set the clock.

Look in the owners manual and see if you have to reset the battery monitoring system. Also if you open the door with the key in the fob I am pretty sure the security system kicks in. I think you need to put the fob in the holder to start it the first time after that.

The Battery Management System should be reset so that the old memory is erased. Also, the Manual says to let the vehicle sleep for at least 8 hours to let the BMS relearn the state of charge of the new battery. This doesn't appear any longer in the 2017 Manual.

Peter

My battery was replaced ~ 30K miles. With all of the sensors (e.g. tail gate opener, doors, auto start, etc.) , it really didn't surprise me.

Batteries these days seem to be a crap shoot. Some last a long time, some go early.

I did check the manual and it said to leave vehicle alone for 8hrs to reset the BMS.
It sat overnight on Friday without disturbing, so that should be reset.

If I understand the last paragraph of the following correctly, you have to go in with either FORScan or IDS to reset the BMS so that the old memory is erased.
Battery Replacement / Upgrade - Battery Re-Learn

Peter

I understand this thread is about a 2016, however, mine is a 2014.

from the 2014 manual:
When a battery replacement is required, the battery should be replaced
with a Ford recommended replacement battery that matches the
electrical requirements of the vehicle. After battery replacement, or in
some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the BMS
requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time (key off with doors closed) to
relearn the new battery state of charge. Prior to relearning state of
charge, the BMS may disable electrical features (to protect the battery)
earlier than normal.

I'm aware of that paragraph in the 2014 Manual as I looked at that Manual first. If you look at the thread again, you will see that the post referenced with the link is the only one mentioning a 2016. The thread itself is not 2016 specific and other posts are from pre 2016 owners.

Peter

Sorry, I meant this thread, as in the one we are in now, is 'specific' to the 2016 based on the title. I wasn't referring to the one you linked.

Just had our battery replaced by Ford, we are at 27k miles and 2 yrs of service and is always garaged.

The battery tested at 275 CCA and should be at 650 CCA, but the car always started and never seemed to have an issue, the reason I took it in, was for the crack in the battery housing, just under the Negative terminal and has caused some battery leakage, kinda messy.

3-4 years is about the average I see with battery life, with all the electronics, it is just hard on the batteries.
I fear my GMC battery is about to go, little slow on the cold mornings....3yrs old and 29k miles.

Back