Boost Gauge ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boost Gauge ?

I've decided that I want to add a boost gauge to my 16 X Sport. I'm a little surprised that Ford didn't include that in the numerous of dash menus, but it is what it is. The pod I'm going to use is the Aeroforce single pod custom made for our Explorers. What I'm looking are suggestions for a gauge. I want an OBD2 boost gauge for it's very simplistic installation and I dont feel like running vacuum line. Recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an Areoforce Interceptor gauge in my mustang. It shows me everything but boost (my car is a 2001 so it's probably why). I just added a regular boost gauge next to it as I like the dial over digital. They are mounted ontop of the dash basically ontop of the radio.

Looking at my A/F gauge is hard at times under hard throttle. It's mounted on my steering column and it has a 4 digit read out with color swiper around the outside for quick glance. I'm not sure I'd want to put a boost gauge on the column because you got to take your eyes off the road to see it. You'd think it would be easy to see but needle gauges are much easier to see at quick glance.

I know this isn't directly related to your explorer but hopefully some of it is useful.

BoominXplorer, I do like the AF Interceptor because you can order a custom face for the gauge to make "fit in" better with vehicle. So far it's high on my list. Also, the pod i plan to get replaces the driver door window defrost vent. So I wont be taking my eyes off the road as bad as trying to look under my steering wheel. Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

Yeah I'd be getting the Interceptor if I was in your place. It will read out everything you want to know by tapping the buttons and display 2 pids at one time. I'd assume map sensor(vac/boost) and trans temp would be 2 good ones to monitor.

I use mine to monitor coolant temp as I like to know exact temp when pushing it and fuel pressure. My mustang is just a stock 4.6 with a Kenne Bell (9-10 lbs boost) on it and every other bolt on you could want. It's pushing the limits of the stock motor so I try to keep a close eye on everything.

Yea I dont plan on doing a whole lot mechanically with mine. I have a powertrain warranty currently so I dont want to void that. I'll probably just do a CAI and tuner. Tunes can easily be put back to stock if needed...Haha.

I've decided that I want to add a boost gauge to my 16 X Sport. I'm a little surprised that Ford didn't include that in the numerous of dash menus, but it is what it is. The pod I'm going to use is the Aeroforce single pod custom made for our Explorers. What I'm looking are suggestions for a gauge. I want an OBD2 boost gauge for it's very simplistic installation and I dont feel like running vacuum line. Recommendations?
Your thread was combined with this existing one. Check out post #14.

Peter

Yea I dont plan on doing a whole lot mechanically with mine. I have a powertrain warranty currently so I dont want to void that. I'll probably just do a CAI and tuner. Tunes can easily be put back to stock if needed...Haha.

Be careful...even after returning your tune to stock, a dealer can see if you’ve had a tune or something loaded to the ECU.

Be careful...even after returning your tune to stock, a dealer can see if you’ve had a tune or something loaded to the ECU.
Playing devils advocate: what would the tech do with that information?

Playing devils advocate: what would the tech do with that information?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The information could be used to deny any warranty coverage on parts/systems if their failure was contributed to the modification.

Peter

Back