Abs/traction control on, already replaced rear speed sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Abs/traction control on, already replaced rear speed sensor

Newspaperblanket

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer xlt
My abs traction control light started coming on sporadically around 60-80 mph about a month ago. I checked my OBDII and it said there was a fault with the LR speed sensor. I replaced it and it went away for a little while but now it's back with the same fault. It usually comes on at higher speeds on my way home from work and will turn off for a few minutes and then back on again regardless of my speed. I slowed down to get off the highway the other day and my traction control kicked on and the brakes very briefly cut out. What should I check next?

Check the abs ring for a split. The axle likes to rust under the ring then bust it between 2 teeth.

Check the abs ring for a split. The axle likes to rust under the ring then bust it between 2 teeth.
I think you're right. I walked out to my car today and a piece of the abs ring was laying on the ground. How hard is it to replace?

To install a new ring you got to clean the axle free of rust then somehow hammer the new ring on evenly. It's usually easier to replace the axle with one already pressed on.

Back