• Register Today It's free!

There HAS to be a better way!

snowhunter

Reaction score
City, State
N. Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
I didn't want a spare tire hanging under the truck (plus the full-size spare didn't fit) so I ran a roof rack with tire mount for the last few years; but I didn't like the wind noise and not being able to park in some parking garages or go through car washes... thus I was looking for an alternative.

Just laying the tire in the bed took up the entire floor space so I wanted a vertical tire mount but couldn't find one that I felt would work with the composite bed. I also didn't want to drill holes.

I came up with a plan... now we'll see how it works. :dunno:

With tire on top
20161014_162724.jpg

20181123_141920.jpg

Installed in truck using angle iron into brackets for shell so as to tie directly to strongest factory-reinforced part of bed. The rear bar of the rack is removable to get the tire in but the leverage of the tire locks it in when installed. I anticipated installing a pin in that part but it isn't necessary.

I used the Yakima tire mount from the roof rack to secure it to the tube steel and tighten everything down

20190629_184956.jpg

Tire installed. This keeps the weight on the floor of the bed and the tire firm against the front wall. It's secured to the wall of the truck with the brackets from the shell and the spare tire is easily removable with just a twist of the Yakima tire mount and a pull of the rear tread lock.

It is totally solid! The whole truck rocks if you try and move the tire. We'll see how it holds up after a few miles in the mountains but I feel pretty good about it right now!
20190629_190153.jpg

Where did you get your bed liner?

Back