Losing Revs? 99 Explorer Sport OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Losing Revs? 99 Explorer Sport OHV

Choochmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Hey guys, this is my third post here and I did some digging around but couldn't find the issue I'm having so here it is:
Vechile starts up fine, idles fine, and when I gas it, it operates as you'd expect. When driving however it's like the car won't go over 2.5k rpm and my gas pedal position doesn't affect Rpms sometimes whether it's an inch pushed down or 4 inches pushed down. I'm thinking it's my fuel pump starting to fail or a clogged fuel filter. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check Engine Light on? Have you scanned for codes?

It could be a lot of things... TPS, MAF, EGR, DPFE, fuel filter, fuel pump.

Nah no check engine light, I'll run it up to the local O'Reilly's and see if some of my buddies there can help me figure it out.

If there are no codes found, then it could be fuel delivery related. How many miles has it been since you replaced your fuel filter? Are you still on the original fuel pump?

It's likely that I am still on the original fuel pump. It's only got 129k miles, but the original owners had it as a yard car for years.

It's likely that I am still on the original fuel pump. It's only got 129k miles, but the original owners had it as a yard car for years.

I've had to replace the fuel pumps on every Explorer/Mountaineer I've owned. They all tended to crap out at around 170K-200K. What about the fuel filter? Have you ever changed it?

Negative, it's in the same boat as the fuel pump

Negative, it's in the same boat as the fuel pump

I'd start by replacing the fuel filter. They're recommended to be replaced every 30K (you can probably get away with 50K, but not 130K). You will need to replace the filter even if it's the pump that's worn out. If the filter hasn't been changed it's gonna be a fun job to do. Even with frequent changes they're tough to get released. If you'v never done one on a Ford you might want to pay someone to do it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get on it and let you know how it turned out

Thanks for the advice, I'll get on it and let you know how it turned out

Once you have your old filter off, try blowing air through it. If it's hard/impossible to blow air through it it's totally clogged.

If you're going to replace the fuel filter yourself, I've found that the below pictured brand and type (type not sizes shown) of fuel line disconnect set works the best for me (IIRC the 5/16's size for the filter and 3/8's for the fuel pump). I bought mine set at AutoZone. I've never had any luck with the plastic disconnect tools.

First flush the dirt out of the ends of the fuel lines with parts cleaner, then spray them with something like WD40. The fuel lines have to be able to be pushed onto the filter a little bit and the filter should be able to spin by hand before attempting to use the disconnect tool. Push the fuel line onto the filter and the disconnect tool into the end of the fuel line at the same time to release the spring clip, then pull the line off. It's finesse that will gets the lines to release, not force. If necessary keep flushing and lubing the fittings.
s-l1600.jpg

Just to add to Koda2000 good advice,

Try pulling the fuel pump fuse with the engine running to relieve some of the pressure in the line. Last time I changed mine I was directly under the filter and had fuel all over me, luckily my drop light wasn't close by or I probably would have been a human torch.

Back