List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 56 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Vehicle is fairly nee, under warranty here in canada.
I have paint bubbling along entire front edge lip of engine hood. Is there a tab or advise on this before I go to dealer
Welcome to the Forum Carlos.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one identified in the above post that was found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.
If you check your Warranty Guide brochure you will find that this type of issue is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just at my dealer getting pictures taken for warranty approval on this issue. At just shy of 20k miles our 2018 XLT showed some light bubbling on the very edge of the hood. Looked very similar to touch up paint over rust. Dealer didn’t get into whether it was paint adhesion or an aluminum corrosion issue but did expect Ford to approve hood replacement as it is still in B2B warranty. Will update once I know more, but glad for the forum and knowing about past experiences because I might not have caught it early enough otherwise.

Do we have a sense of whether the hood replacement and paint job last? Sorry, if this has already been asked. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Thanks

I was just at my dealer getting pictures taken for warranty approval on this issue. At just shy of 20k miles our 2018 XLT showed some light bubbling on the very edge of the hood. Looked very similar to touch up paint over rust. Dealer didn’t get into whether it was paint adhesion or an aluminum corrosion issue but did expect Ford to approve hood replacement as it is still in B2B warranty. Will update once I know more, but glad for the forum and knowing about past experiences because I might not have caught it early enough otherwise.

Dealer just called. Ford authorized hood replacement.

I’d echo charron19’s curiosity as to whether the replacement solves the issue or if it returns 1-2 years down the road. I guess it would depend on what the contamination was caused by and whether it’s something your average body shop can avoid causing that Ford’s paint shop at the factory was missing.

There have been posts about a re-occurrence of the issue early on in the thread. Can't recall if that was on replacements or repairs. Being that a 2018 hood is being replaced, I'm guessing it will be done with an identical hood.

Peter

You would think that they would of had it figured out after the first thousand vehicles had problems instead of using the same process for years that is causing problems.

Or is aftermarket paint and processes better than what is done at the factory?

You would think that they would of had it figured out after the first thousand vehicles had problems instead of using the same process for years that is causing problems.

Or is aftermarket paint and processes better than what is done at the factory?

You would think they’d have this figured out by now, but nagging production issues like this sometimes take years to sort out if they don’t know the cause. It’s purely speculation, but if replacing the hood and having painting done by a body shop solves the issue, it is entirely possible the contamination is something unique to the production line environment. I could make conjecture as to how that could happen, but it would be just conjecture. Then again, if it’s extremely easy to cause the contamination, then one would expect shops to be no better (or maybe worse) due to the less controlled environment. I’d be more concerned if it seemed like lots of folks with hood REPLACEMENT had reoccurrence, but looking at the thread it does seem like it was mostly with blend repair jobs that didn’t replace the hood.

I’ll update once I know more about what is going on with mine, but I would think it’s time for 2018-2019 owners to start keeping an eye out for it too, as Ford clearly hasn’t resolved the production issue causing this yet if my 2018 is impacted.

Being that a 2018 hood is being replaced, I'm guessing it will be done with an identical hood.

Yes. From what I could glean from the service advisor, the hood ordered was the original 2018 hood assembly part number, 16612, which was the hood for 05/04/2015 - 03/05/2019 Explorers without revision, per Ford Parts. Since this hood was in production at least as recently as a few months ago, and has no revisions, we can assume it is identical and any changes (if any were made) are process changes to how it was/will be handled, sealed, or painted.

Interpolating, that would mean that if the contamination comes from some point in manufacturing of the hood, the new hood could still be contaminated. If it comes from some point after that step, such as painting or assembly, and the body shop lacks the source of contamination, the new hood should work to resolve the issue.

This issue stems from ferrous flakes being on the surface of the aluminum hood as the die stamping the aluminum hoods is also used for iron/steel pressing.

The ferrous flakes rust, which causes corrosion, at least that's how I've understand the case to be.

This issue stems from ferrous flakes being on the surface of the aluminum hood as the die stamping the aluminum hoods is also used for iron/steel pressing.

The ferrous flakes rust, which causes corrosion, at least that's how I've understand the case to be.

That raises interesting questions...

First, why would the die (not the press, just the die) be used for multiple metals? A hood is a fairly large piece and I would have assumed it is stamped individually with its own die, or on a die with multiple identical parts (as in multiple hoods). Also, wouldn’t aluminum and steel parts need different stamping pressure, etc...? And, since Ford doesn’t make a steel version of this hood, if it was stamped individually, there should then be no transfer of ferrous material from previously stamped parts, as the die would only be used for this one item. Does that mean the die for the hood includes other parts that are steel, say fenders or hoods for other products, or is the die itself (which is presumably some manner of ferrous metal) transferring the flakes?

Second, if it is coming from the stamping process, is it more common during certain portions of the run? For example, would more transfer early in the use of a new die and then taper off, or vice versa as the die wore out?

Third, if it is from the stamping process, why does it seem to mainly impact the hood lip? Is it because of the crimp trapping the ferrous material? Is it because that area is exposed to more residual moisture?

Finally, if it is from the stamping process, will replacing the hood actually solve the problem? If the hoods are stamped in the same process and have an equal chance of getting ferrous material on them, one would assume the risk of the issue resuming was similar to the original risk. Has Ford come up with a way to remove the material in the prep instructions given to dealers/subbed body shops?

That raises interesting questions...

First, why would the die (not the press, just the die) be used for multiple metals? A hood is a fairly large piece and I would have assumed it is stamped individually with its own die, or on a die with multiple identical parts (as in multiple hoods). Also, wouldn’t aluminum and steel parts need different stamping pressure, etc...? And, since Ford doesn’t make a steel version of this hood, if it was stamped individually, there should then be no transfer of ferrous material from previously stamped parts, as the die would only be used for this one item. Does that mean the die for the hood includes other parts that are steel, say fenders or hoods for other products, or is the die itself (which is presumably some manner of ferrous metal) transferring the flakes?

Second, if it is coming from the stamping process, is it more common during certain portions of the run? For example, would more transfer early in the use of a new die and then taper off, or vice versa as the die wore out?

Third, if it is from the stamping process, why does it seem to mainly impact the hood lip? Is it because of the crimp trapping the ferrous material? Is it because that area is exposed to more residual moisture?

Finally, if it is from the stamping process, will replacing the hood actually solve the problem? If the hoods are stamped in the same process and have an equal chance of getting ferrous material on them, one would assume the risk of the issue resuming was similar to the original risk. Has Ford come up with a way to remove the material in the prep instructions given to dealers/subbed body shops?
You raise fantastic questions that, unfortunately, I am not well equipped to answer. I will ask around and check other forums/pages as people who are more involved with the process seem to be there.

My bet is the 2020 will have issue down the road. Guessing no seam sealer on doors either. Hope I am wrong.

I Browsed this forum before getting my 17 Explorer and haven’t really been back since. I’ve had the bubbling issue for awhile now and finally came here to see if anyone else had experienced this. Good to know its common and it’s been going on for awhile. Hopefully the dealership gets this taken care of with no major headaches.

Just got off the phone with it’s the service manager at Future Ford in Roseville. Ford will take care of it with a new hood no cost to me. Thanks everyone for your help.
I just purchased a 2016 and noticed the same thing around the front of the hood and so forth, does anyone know if they are covering these repairs for 2 and 3rd owners?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Check your Warranty Guide. It states that aluminum panels are covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage. That is that warranty that comes with the vehicle regardless of who owns it. It would be like selling the Explorer with the factory warranty still in place. The new owner would automatically be covered by what is left on the existing warranty.
Good luck.

Peter

In case anybody else ends up needing a new hood...expect delays right now. Dealership doesn’t expect to receive new hood until 8/30 due to a national backlog. Said something about 300 something hoods ahead of me or that there was an order for 300 hoods shipping 8/30. Regardless, their plan is to sub out the hood painting to their usual paint shop since they don’t have a body shop and none of the other local Ford dealers do either.

In case anybody else ends up needing a new hood...expect delays right now. Dealership doesn’t expect to receive new hood until 8/30 due to a national backlog. Said something about 300 something hoods ahead of me or that there was an order for 300 hoods shipping 8/30. Regardless, their plan is to sub out the hood painting to their usual paint shop since they don’t have a body shop and none of the other local Ford dealers do either.
I had my wife’s hood replaced at the end of April and like what you stated they don’t have a body shop of their own and sublet it to a local (to them) shop. In all honesty, the hood looks better than the rest of the car. BTW I only had to wait a week for the hood back then

I have a 2015 with the hood issue. are the 2015 hoods covered under the warranty? I am not sure where my physical warranty paperwork is at the moment...

Unfortunately, the 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty applies to 2016+ Explorers.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: Dealer scheduled replacement for 8/26. They are providing a rental.

Back