Street Pack vs Track Pack | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Street Pack vs Track Pack

First post.....so a bit of a trial bunny here........full details on suspension, etc and street vs performance pack are in the owners manual.....can be obtained thru the link on the large general thread on the 2020 explorer. I will try to do a cut and paste from a pdf on a following post

edited to add....it appears the track pack for the st is not only different pads, but also comes with summer only tires.......a deal killer for me, so sticking with the street package upgrade

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

• Unique ST-tuned suspension featuring
32 N/mm front coil springs and a 34
mm hollow front stabilizer bar and 106
N/mm rear coil springs and a 21.7 mm
hollow rear stabilizer bar.
• Standard ST brake system consists of
345mm diameter vented front rotors
with two piston calipers and low-dust
linings; 326 mm solid rear rotors with
single-piston brake calipers and
electric integrated park brake with low
dust linings.

Optional ST braking system includes
363mm diameter vented front rotors
with heavy duty two-piston calipers
and low-dust linings; 350 mm diameter
vented rear rotors with heavy-duty
single-piston brake calipers and
electric integrated park brake with
low-dust linings; system requires 21 x
9-inch wheels and P275/45R21
all-season tires.
• Optional low-metallic brake linings are
included with optional P275/45R21
summer tire (late availability).
• ST-tuned electric power assist steering
rack and pinion.
• AdvanceTrac with stability
enhancement system with four modes:
Default, Traction Control Off, Sport and
Disabled.
• Aluminum ST 20 in (50.8 cm) x 9 in
(21.6 cm) wheels standard; 21 in
(53.3 cm) x 9 in (22.9 cm) wheels
optional.
• P255/55R20 all-season tires or
optional P275/45R21 all-season tires.

First post.....so a bit of a trial bunny here........full details on suspension, etc and street vs performance pack are in the owners manual.....can be obtained thru the link on the large general thread on the 2020 explorer. I will try to do a cut and paste from a pdf on a following post

edited to add....it appears the track pack for the st is not only different pads, but also comes with summer only tires.......a deal killer for me, so sticking with the street package upgrade

I'm not seeing what you are seeing. I take it as this..

Standard ST is the 20" without the street or track.

Optional ST is the red calipers, bigger brakes (both packs)

If you are saying the Track pack is the one with 21" summer tires, I do not believe that to be true. There is nothing that is Late Availability with the Track Pack.

I'm not seeing what you are seeing.

If you go to Ford's owner website they have updated the V2 of the owners guide and it is on page 20. I have a downloaded copy of the old one and it was not in there.

One thing I am not thrilled with is the owners guide showing the ST as only having the 10R60 transmission. If I remember correctly the 60 stands for 600nm rating which is only 442 ft lbs. That is not much more than the 415 rating. I guess that is one way to cut down on people wanting to do after market work. I have seen people posting about SHOs picking up over 30 ft lbs with CAI and exhaust.

One thing I am not thrilled with is the owners guide showing the ST as only having the 10R60 transmission. If I remember correctly the 60 stands for 600nm rating which is only 442 ft lbs. That is not much more than the 415 rating. I guess that is one way to cut down on people wanting to do after market work. I have seen people posting about SHOs picking up over 30 ft lbs with CAI and exhaust.

That's not how Ford rates it. I will have to find it later today for you on how the rating works with Ford. It has something to do with it being at the input shaft but then it is multiplied by 1.5 or something similar. This was a major discussion on the powerstroke forums. I'll find it when I get home.

If you go to Ford's owner website they have updated the V2 of the owners guide and it is on page 20. I have a downloaded copy of the old one and it was not in there.

I worded it wrong. I see what it says but I am not taking it to mean the same thing you are. Here is what I believe it is.

Standard ST (without Street/Track Pack):
Standard ST brake system consists of 345mm diameter vented front rotors with two piston calipers and low-dust linings; 326 mm solid rear rotors with single-piston brake calipers and electric integrated park brake with low dust linings.

When you choose the Street or Track Pack you get:
Optional ST braking system includes 363mm diameter vented front rotors with heavy duty two-piston calipers and low-dust linings; 350 mm diameter vented rear rotors with heavy-duty single-piston brake calipers and electric integrated park brake with low-dust linings; system requires 21 x 9-inch wheels and P275/45R21 all-season tires.

Both Street/Track comes with the 21 x 9-inch wheels, the same tires, the bigger rotors w/red calipers etc.

Nowhere does it say there are 2 different brake upgrades (Street vs Track). And the "late availability summer tires" are not something that is Standard with the Track Pack. My 1st ST is being built in 2 weeks with the Track pack so there is nothing "late" about it.

I worded it wrong. I see what it says but I am not taking it to mean the same thing you are. Here is what I believe it is.

Standard ST brake system consists of 345mm diameter vented front rotors with two piston calipers and low-dust linings; 326 mm solid rear rotors with single-piston brake calipers and electric integrated park brake with low dust linings.

Optional ST braking system includes 363mm diameter vented front rotors with heavy duty two-piston calipers and low-dust linings; 350 mm diameter vented rear rotors with heavy-duty single-piston brake calipers and electric integrated park brake with low-dust linings; system requires 21 x 9-inch wheels and P275/45R21 all-season tires.

Both Street/Track comes with the 21 x 9-inch wheels, the same tires, the bigger rotors w/red calipers etc.

Nowhere does it say there are 2 different brake upgrades (Street vs Track). And the "late availability summer tires" are not something that is Standard with the Track Pack. My 1st ST is being built in 2 weeks with the Track pack so there is nothing "late" about it.

I share your interpretation as well.

Brownsmoke. Please find me a few pictures of the Magnetic color ST and post it on the Magnetic order forum. All I could find is 1 picture. I already ordered mine.

Brownsmoke. Please find me a few pictures of the Magnetic color ST and post it on the Magnetic order forum. All I could find is 1 picture. I already ordered mine.

I posted one already

We know there are 2 different brake options for the Street vs High Performance packages. This is at the very least just a differences in pads. However, you can have different rotors and calipers but they are still considered vaguely as XXXmm in size and heavy-duty ext. For example the rotors could be made of different material but the same size.

What I still find interesting is what is listed on Ford's part site for the 2020 Explorer (previous years the PIU and parts are listed separately). There are three options (at least for the front) for rotors and calipers. This would make sense if you have standard heavy duty front brakes that is on every model from the base and up. Then you would have two more options one for the street pack and one for the high performance pack.

There is some sense that could be made from these part listings. So maybe the street pack comes with the PIU brake and the high performance pack comes with something better (this is for both rotors and calipers) or maybe street comes with something in between standard and PIU brakes and high performance gets the new PIU brakes (this could be the case based on the posting on here by people having conversations while test driving the new PIU).

This thread talks about how it is not out of the blue for PIU brakes on Explorers.
Standard vs Sport Brakes

All of this makes me wonder though are we having to pay for an upgrade to PIU brakes when that is what use to come on sports to begin with. Or who knows maybe it is something new and different that we have never seen before.

To finish the Summer only tires may be new options moving forward like a "High Performance Pack 2" that could have other things with it. It do not think this is too far fetched since I am pretty sure there has been many performance pack versions for the mustangs with mid year updates and changes.

The only difference between the Street Pack and Performance Pack is the size of the brake pads.

Everything else is the same between the two packs and they all use the same size and the same material rotors, brake calipers.

He made a mistake. " worth the additional $1,600". its 600 difference.

Lol, I caught that too. The lack of proof reading these days by professionals is amazing.

I commented on the article so the writer would see his mistake......he is a Canadian journalist so he might not.

This is not correct, Ford trans numbers have nothing to do with the power rating.

10R60 means ....

10 Forward Gears, Reverse, .60 Overdrive ratio

This is not correct, Ford trans numbers have nothing to do with the power rating.

10R60 means ....

Nope, 10 hamsters running 60 fps. Now that we are done making things up, the 10 is forward gears, R is rear drive application (F is front drive) and 60 is input torque or series. Now their is some question as to if that is a general rating, nominal design rating, maximum rating, or class (size / weight) designation. It definitely has nothing to do with overdrive.

The 2020 super duty will get a 10R140 and the Aviator GT gets a 10R80. If you go with the theory that the last number is input torque rating in NM, that equates to 1032 lbft for the super duty and 590 lbft for the Aviator GT. I kind of lean to the theory that they are not max input torque values but class ratings (still in NM), ie the 80 is for around 600 lbft, the 140 is for around 1000 lbft, the 60 around 400 lbft. I think Ford would deliberately not name their transmission with the maximum input torque value, but assign it a nominal class design torque value.

10R60 means ....

What in the holy??? Please tell me that you were not being serious and we just didnt understand the joke.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have 800 miles on my ST with the (Edit: remove "standard") Street Pack brakes, I can honestly say, I would not want anymore brake power than I have now. If anything, they may still have a bit more bite than I would prefer, takes some time to learn to modulate them when being aggressive. I'm no noob to performance brakes. I've been road racing since 2007 and have three Expert class licensees. Would like to try the Track Pack just to see the difference, but IMHO the Street Pack is more than enough power. How well they handle brake fade is yet to be seen however.

When the time comes I'll likely replace the rotors with Dimpled and Slotted EBC parts if available then. Will reserve my judgment on Street Pack pads for now.

Back