Where does this go | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where does this go

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Awhile back I did a valve job on the left head, after putting it back together I found this small rod laying on the table, can't figure out where it goes. Engine runs great, except for the camshaft code.
I've looked the head over several times, if this goes in the head somewhere could this be why I can't get rid of the Camshaft sensor code
index.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which engine? And could you repost the photo with a ruler for scale?

Oil restrictor rod from a head???

Near front tensioner there is a small t30 dowel/plug on the head. Open it up and see if theres a rod inside.

My cam sensor went out around 200,000. I bought a Standard brand sensor. Standard or BDW merged. All products are now under Standard.

Edit: Replaced my crank sensor while I was at it. Same brand: under $20.

Is it plastic?

No its metal I took out the t30 plug out of another plug and its plastic. Also when I did the head I never took out that plug

Is it the same diameter as a valve? Did you use a homemade tool while working on the valve guides? I’m reaching here...

Pull a schematic of the head and see if you can find the part. Or, maybe it was on the bench before you started the job. I’ve done that before.

I don’t recall seeing a part that looks like that. And the oil pump drive is very distinctive. I don’t recall a similar part but I don’t work on heads that often.

Looks a little like the push rod from a harmonic balancer puller...

Back