Gremlins, I say! (C0040 - after hub ass'y replacement) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gremlins, I say! (C0040 - after hub ass'y replacement)

SteveRosenow

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
A week or so ago I replaced the right front wheel bearing and hub assembly on the Explorer I own. A couple days ago I borrowed our OBDII code reader to diagnose some codes that prompted after replacing the PCV valve.

One of those codes, was C0040- Right Front Wheel Speed Circuit Malfunction. Mind you, the hub bearing and harness are brand new. What could cause this code to pop up literally less than two weeks after install?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand hub bearing did you use?

Timken bearings are good, but I was under the impression Detroit Axle sold mostly "white box" parts using off-brands. Are you sure it's Timken?

Unless the bearing is bad, I would check the connector and make sure it hasn't popped loose.

There's no way it's a timkin bearing, that Detroit axle stuff is cheap cheap cheap stuff. You get what you pay for........

Update:

While I cannot confirm that it was the bearing (and I likely doubt it is even the cause) I can visually confirm that there seems to be a rather tight stretch of the harness. Without dismantling it again I would suspect perhaps that the cable itself had been separated from the sensor and is being held in place by the 8mm bolt on the steering knuckle.

I plan on getting under there soon to see what the issue is. I doubt it's the bearing itself.

Maybe swap the harness and sensor from your old unit? If that's even possible... :dunno:

Back