My Explorer Sport Build | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer Sport Build

Well I got the other Diff installed and it turned out to be a bad one also. Really bad clunking when trying to drive. Put in Drive and RPMs would get up pretty high before she would move and when she did move it was Clunking pretty bad. So I have a 1354e coming to me Thursday. Once I get it installed and all Fluids checked will see what happens then. I really hope this one is a good one and will work till I get a manual 1354. We will see what happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope you get that sorted out soon to get to drive it some. It's hard to fix multiple things at once, or figure out which is the worse and needs help the soonest.

Keep at it, spending that much time on it will pay off.

My hands smell like old transmission fluid right now, I just inspected a set of guts from a used AODE I bought. For $116 I got about 3/4 of the whole set of guts, including the four parts I needed. After I fix my 99's 5R55E trans, I'll be taking apart the AODE from my wrecked 94 Mustang, a spare 4R from my old 95 Crown Vic, and building a 98 4R Explorer trans, to install into my 92 Lincoln(AOD car). I need the best AODE parts from the Mustang(used ones I just bought will replace those), the output shaft and housing from the CV 4R, in the 75k Explorer 4R trans, to upgrade my Lincoln. Same as stock gearing, controlled by a 97 302 Explorer computer, newer 2002 wiring, OBDII, better. I'll have a mess of parts scattered to do that trans build, should be fun, and a test of how lucky I am at mixing parts.

I hope you get that sorted out soon to get to drive it some. It's hard to fix multiple things at once, or figure out which is the worse and needs help the soonest.

Keep at it, spending that much time on it will pay off.

My hands smell like old transmission fluid right now, I just inspected a set of guts from a used AODE I bought. For $116 I got about 3/4 of the whole set of guts, including the four parts I needed. After I fix my 99's 5R55E trans, I'll be taking apart the AODE from my wrecked 94 Mustang, a spare 4R from my old 95 Crown Vic, and building a 98 4R Explorer trans, to install into my 92 Lincoln(AOD car). I need the best AODE parts from the Mustang(used ones I just bought will replace those), the output shaft and housing from the CV 4R, in the 75k Explorer 4R trans, to upgrade my Lincoln. Same as stock gearing, controlled by a 97 302 Explorer computer, newer 2002 wiring, OBDII, better. I'll have a mess of parts scattered to do that trans build, should be fun, and a test of how lucky I am at mixing parts.

WOW you have your hands full. I have often thought about getting an older A4OD trans to put in my 97. Let the trans fluid do the shifting instead of the computer. :) But not sure if something like that would work. I think I saw something on here were there was a kit to put in a Chevy trans 700r4 into an Explorer. BUT I think that is with the 1st Gen explorers. Oh well I will figure it out hopefully someday. I would like to drive her someday and then there are days I feel I might have bitten off more then I can chew LOL

The older A4LD is a cousin to your 5R55E, or the 44e from just before yours. They are all similar in strength, which is why a lot of people swap a manual in. The 700R Chevy trans is very strong though, if it's needed that's a good swap. I don't know if there is an adapter to put the 700R behind the Ford 4.0's, but the 1st gens match yours for using another transmission. The 5R55E is strong enough when it's working as intended, but sometimes things affect that, as you've probably read a few times. I'm about to find out if the same tools I have for the common Ford V8 trans, works for the 5R's. If so, it's about being sure all of the parts are very good, and getting it together just right, installing the pump and TC properly etc.

Keep your ATF fresh, extra cooler installed, deeper pan if you can afford it, new solenoids and accumulators, a VB kit, Sonnax parts, and it should be good. There's a lot there to do, but it's things possible without doing, or before a rebuild is necessary.

The older A4LD is a cousin to your 5R55E, or the 44e from just before yours. They are all similar in strength, which is why a lot of people swap a manual in. The 700R Chevy trans is very strong though, if it's needed that's a good swap. I don't know if there is an adapter to put the 700R behind the Ford 4.0's, but the 1st gens match yours for using another transmission. The 5R55E is strong enough when it's working as intended, but sometimes things affect that, as you've probably read a few times. I'm about to find out if the same tools I have for the common Ford V8 trans, works for the 5R's. If so, it's about being sure all of the parts are very good, and getting it together just right, installing the pump and TC properly etc.

Keep your ATF fresh, extra cooler installed, deeper pan if you can afford it, new solenoids and accumulators, a VB kit, Sonnax parts, and it should be good. There's a lot there to do, but it's things possible without, or before a rebuild is necessary.

Thank you Don. Will look into all of that.

OK tomorrow I am putting a 1354e in. We will see how things go once I get it installed. First will be getting her registered and plates put on then taking out 4405 and installing the 1354e. Will be taking pictures as I am doing it. Here is to hoping all goes well. :)

I installed a bw1354e into my 97 explorer sport. Used the shift motor from old TC hooked a green wire and a blue wire from 54 TC to the wire harness of newer shift motor. Hooked everything up and it works. It shifts into 4 hi and 4 lo. Not sure if I can shift to 4 hi on the fly. But that does not bother me at all. I am just happy that it shifts and it shows what it is in on my dash. Super excited. NOW to get a front drive line from a first gen Ex. PS brown wire is not hooked up.
20190524_205142.jpg

20190524_205152.jpg

20190525_112319.jpg

Well got a drive line from the JY and speaker covers for the rear and total cost was $33. That includes entry fee. Installed front drive line and installed radio. She is now ready for the trails. Saturday going out on her first trail with me.
20190615_131603.jpg

20190616_160437.jpg

Well I was able to get her out to the Trails and WOW did she do wonderful. With out a locker or LS in the rear she sure did not get stopped to easily. Here are a couple pics of here out in her Natural environment.
97 16.jpg

97 18.jpg
97 22.jpg

97 20.jpg

Her Tires did spin a little in certain area's but other then that she did WONDERFUL. Love how the Front axle worked out and the 1354 was also flawless. Working on video tonight and try to get her posted up. This time there will be sound. :) Next on the list is Winch and Rear lunch Box locker. Also need to raise the rear a little. So gonna get either lift shackles or Add a Leaf.

Played a little more in Rainbow falls today. Was a fun day with just family.
20190630_140028.jpg

20190630_140041.jpg

20190630_142802.jpg

On Mini Moab My daughter took the right side in my explorer. I was very proud of her being able to do it. With open diffs front and rear. I am very happy with my ex. I have a limited slip rear axle to put in and when I get the new limited slip clutch pack bought and put in. I am gonna also install an add a leaf into the rear to raise the rear up a little more. I have some video but I am working on getting it down loaded to the computer. Super happy so far.

One thing I have noticed though is that I have a 5 speed auto trans. So far she is doing pretty good. After a little 4 wheeling and driving a bit around town she got 17 mpg on the first fill I have had with her. Can't wait to get the limited slip rear end installed. I will be Unstoppable LOL.

Yes I should BUT I have a limited in my hands and it is a lot cheaper getting the Clutch packs and putting them in then getting the Lunch box. This is a budget build. With a move in my VERY near future and a new $500 car payment funds for my explorer build got cut.

Just making sure you are aware about the carriers and the locker. :salute:

If you can wait it out, and just save for the budget mini Detroit lunchbox locker, it will be worth it. Leaps and bounds better than the LS in the rear.

(Full size Detroit lockers are 2-3 times as much)

A little Video of my daughter driving up a little obstical. Pardon the video it is my youngest daughter that is videoing it.

The wheeling day was a good day. I think this Picture was one of my Favorites. There were 6 explorers in Jeep Country and one F150.
65387539_10214699813390172_376514038806347776_n.jpg

Well Saturday my wife and I went out onto a trail and had a great time. My in my EX and her in her F150. It was a much more difficult trail compared to Rainbow falls. WE went up to China wall. It was her Birthday and that is what she wanted to do. So who am I to argue about what she wants to do. At the end of the trailer down by the river we were eating lunch and it decided to start raining. So the sitting by the river for a bit got cut short. But that is ok. I have right now a couple pics and will get more as soon as I can.

97 28.jpg

Looking at my Front end on this I need to do something about Swap bar LOL
Cindy 01.jpg

Yes those side steps got ruined. But like she said its a truck. :) Love my wife.

Get rid of that sway bar!!

I have heard bad things about doing that also. I want to so bad. Just not sure about the CV joints just because of what you see there. They would be stretched out over this obstacle. I will have to do it then and get limit straps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back