Broken glove box hinge 2014 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken glove box hinge 2014

KennyPowers55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
While trying to remove my glove box, I managed to break the hinge hole on each side (where the white pin enters). The holes split but are still attached to the box. I gorilla glued them, let it set for 24 hours, v and the broke again rather easily when trying to reinstall the box. Is there any way to repair this? Is gorilla glue the right type of glue for this material? I'm not sure what kind of plastic it is.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A pic is worth a thousand words.

I can't help with a glue.
When the Dealer broke the pin hinges off mine while trying to change the cabin filter they couldn't fix it so they bought me an entire new glovebox, about $250 as I recall. The next time I changed the filter myself and I noticed those pin hinges are made with a very hard yet flexible type plastic and don't know of any glue that could withstand the amount of torque the pin hinges withstand. I wish you luck, I think the whole glovebox assembly is a bit flimsy for the weight that might be put in it. I fabricated a metal stop so when the glovebox is fully open it rests on something solid instead of the two little plastic clips and plastic rod.

New glove box assembly is the only way.

I used JB Weld epoxy. The right side split on me with seemingly little pressure.

yeah mine got damaged when I changed my filter and now i have to be careful but firm when closing and I have advised the wife not to open it due to the issue.

Back