TPMS module location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS module location

Unclekth

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac Limited
Can anyone tell me where the TPMS Module is located in my 2010 Sport Trac? My sensors are all good and I keep getting the messages
Tire Monitor Fault
Tire Sensor Fault
after about 20 minutes of driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure where the module is, possibly in the drivers door. But, regardless of what you will probably read on this forum or anywhere else, if you are not using the OEM, band mounted wheel mounted sensors you will have problems. I have a '10 Adrenalin, when I got it I fought the problems you are describing. I could see it had aftermarket stem mounted sensors. I could reset them with my scanner and drive maybe 40 miles and the light would come on. Dismounted the tires and put in the blue, band mount Ford sensors, problem solved. For what it's worth, I manage a fleet of police vehicles, and we have approximately 60 Crown Vic's still in service. They use the same blue sensor and because of cost difference we have tried "replacement" stem mounted units, the aftermarket advertises them to work, but they have the same issues as my ST. Last time I checked, Motorcraft did not list anything but the band mounted units for my ST or the CV's

Not sure where the module is, possibly in the drivers door. But, regardless of what you will probably read on this forum or anywhere else, if you are not using the OEM, band mounted wheel mounted sensors you will have problems. I have a '10 Adrenalin, when I got it I fought the problems you are describing. I could see it had aftermarket stem mounted sensors. I could reset them with my scanner and drive maybe 40 miles and the light would come on. Dismounted the tires and put in the blue, band mount Ford sensors, problem solved. For what it's worth, I manage a fleet of police vehicles, and we have approximately 60 Crown Vic's still in service. They use the same blue sensor and because of cost difference we have tried "replacement" stem mounted units, the aftermarket advertises them to work, but they have the same issues as my ST. Last time I checked, Motorcraft did not list anything but the band mounted units for my ST or the CV's
Timely information. I have had an inconsistent vibration from about 90km/hr to 110km/hr and after three tire balancing processes, a full front end allignment, a replacement drive shaft and universal joint assembly (~$1,4000CDN) The vibration continues. My local mechanic replaced all the TPMS bands with brand new ones....still have the occasional vibration...I had planned to replace the band type with valve stem types next Wednesday.....now, I'm not so sure! Any suggestions? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Are your tires an aggressive tread? I have a 2000 Explorer 5.0 awd that is very particular about tire design. It works best with passenger car type tread, with anything slightly aggressive it tends to have a drone as well as vibrations. Is the wheel balancing a true dynamic balance? If the guy is trying to do a static balance you will never get it smooth. So if you have the OE aluminum wheels and don't want clip on weights on the outside, it takes a good balancer and lots of patience with stick on weights, but it can be done. I would stay with the OE tpms

aftermarket TPMS sensors are notorious for having connection - but that being said that majority of the issues are because of something jamming or interfering. IE low quality chargers / electric devices / crap window tinting / aftermarket radios.

Can anyone tell me where the TPMS Module is located in my 2010 Sport Trac? My sensors are all good and I keep getting the messages
Tire Monitor Fault
Tire Sensor Fault
after about 20 minutes of driving.

Did you ever find the location? I have the same issue and the dealer said probably the control module.

Tpms are a build in SJB controller module.there is no separated tpms module.located near the park brake release latch.

What forscan codes do you get?

Tpms are a build in SJB controller module.there is no separated tpms module.located near the park brake release latch.

What forscan codes do you get?
I'm just getting intermittent errors on the TPMS part. And I do know that it is part of the Smart junction box part# 9L2Z 15604 C. While it is discontinued, I will be watching for one and was just researching the location for when I found one. I get a module error about every now and then but doesn't seem to last. When I try and relearn the error TPMS moves around to different tires. Meaning it is the control unit most likely.

You need to perform module diagnostics procedure thru dealer IDS or a forscan.reset and reflash the GEM module first.as build chart may be gone wrong somehow

What errors numbers/codes exactly do you have for the tpms?

Is it any visual corrosion evidence around the SJB module?

It was the dealer through diags that stated I needed a new Smart Box. Just happen to be discontinued. So still need the location for sure so when I find one I can take it apart.

SJB located just behind the headlight switch area ,inside the dashboard.

Remove driver side dashboard service cover to see the SJB.

Back