Loud screeching noise when putting car into reverse? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud screeching noise when putting car into reverse?

Reaction score
City, State
Valley springs, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0
I put my gears into neutral this morning. Then I switched from 2wd to 4wd. Then back to 2wd. I put it in reverse and I just got this loud screeching noise that would make anyone change a gear instantly. Is my transfer case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In another topic someone advised you to try taking the front driveshaft out. If that resolves your issues, then decide whether leave the shaft out, to drive it as a 2WD, or look at replacing/repairing the transfer case.

DIY seems the only cost effective option on a vehicle that age with low purchase price (value) and other problems.

Anything that's making screeching, big thumps, etc, try not to do that.

I seen, but I’m still confused as to how. I see my front diff leads into the tires as well, I’m not a full on mechanic so I’ll assume my front tires will just be spinning at the speed of whatever I’m going due to the rear diff handling it all? And since I’d be removing the drive shaft, that would make two open holes, into the front diff and whatever it leads to in the back. It’s weird because it doesn’t exactly go into the TC, so what would I need to cover each of those ends up.

@FireFighter209

Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to give this a shot at clarification - hope it works ;-)

OK - By taking the front driveshaft out, and then driving your Ex, one of the following situations will occur.

A) If the noise goes away, the driveshaft is/was the problem.
Find a "Driveline Service" shop in your area, and get your driveshaft rebuilt and balanced. See "NOTE" below towards end of this post as how to find a good driveline shop.

B) If the noise(s) continue, it is looking "more" like there is a problem with your Transfer Case. Basically, we're working our way backwards, ultimately towards the transmission.

C) I would add that if you choose to remove the driveshaft, and the noises continue, visit a reputable transmission shop in your area for their opinion on if it's the transfer case and/or the transmission.

NOTE: One of the guys in your fire department that has grey hair and is into Muscle Cars OR Lifted 4wd's can direct you to a good reputable transmission shop ;-) In life it's cheaper to talk to guys that have been there and done that, as opposed to venturing out on your own and taking the hit in your wallet. Good "diagnostic" transmission shops that stand behind their work are hard to find. When you find one, hold on tight and refer them to your friends :)

Hope that helps and again, welcome to the forum.
Let us know how it all works out!

@FireFighter209

Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to give this a shot at clarification - hope it works ;-)

OK - By taking the front driveshaft out, and then driving your Ex, one of the following situations will occur.

A) If the noise goes away, the driveshaft is/was the problem.
Find a "Driveline Service" shop in your area, and get your driveshaft rebuilt and balanced. See "NOTE" below towards end of this post as how to find a good driveline shop.

B) If the noise(s) continue, it is looking "more" like there is a problem with your Transfer Case. Basically, we're working our way backwards, ultimately towards the transmission.

C) I would add that if you choose to remove the driveshaft, and the noises continue, visit a reputable transmission shop in your area for their opinion on if it's the transfer case and/or the transmission.

NOTE: One of the guys in your fire department that has grey hair and is into Muscle Cars OR Lifted 4wd's can direct you to a good reputable transmission shop ;-) In life it's cheaper to talk to guys that have been there and done that, as opposed to venturing out on your own and taking the hit in your wallet. Good "diagnostic" transmission shops that stand behind their work are hard to find. When you find one, hold on tight and refer them to your friends :)

Hope that helps and again, welcome to the forum.
Let us know how it all works out!

Are you implying that if the noises continue after removal it is either transfer case or transmission? Or both? If it was the first option I’d imagine between the two it’s more than likely transmission?

Yes

More than likely it's the Transfer Case.

Yes

Good luck & don't be a stranger, close the loop by letting us know how it all worked out!

Thanks, Dave. I have no doubt that this 4wd low took an ass ton of life out of my tranny, however I believe my electric switch is what’s failing, if not I took apart the connector for the motor that sits on the transfer case, apparently this motor is only for the switching between 4wd and 2wd. Once I opened it up I noticed white flakes deep down in each hole. I tried using an air hose and nothing really came out. I’m figuring I need to stick something down in there to clean it out but won’t do this until I can safely disengage my battery

@FireFighter209,

Thanks for checking in and providing us with an update.

I hope I'm wrong, but I believe the problems you are finding wrong with the Shift Motor are related to/due to the BIGGER PROBLEMS inside of your Borg-Warner 4405 Transfer Case.

Due to the nature of these (20 year old +) vehicles looking and driving like a tank, the 80 percentile of the owners/soccer moms that drove them did not service the Transfer Case (or Transmission) due to them believing that the vehicle was overbuilt (again - like a Tank) and thus indestructible

To clarify; most owners of these vehicles fell under the category of "what's a transfer case"?

Most didn't follow the maintenance schedule that Transmission & Transfer Case fluids should be changed every 30,000 miles, and that the tires should be rotated every 5,000 miles and kept close to the same tread depth.

The well-known problems that occur within the transfer case due to not following the before-mentioned maintenance schedules are:

* Damaged Shift Fork

* Damaged Range Gear

*Damaged Case - Oblong Holes in the Magnesium Body of the Transfer Case where the Shift Fork is supported and pivots.

YMMV, Good Luck, and keep us in the loop!

@FireFighter209,

Thanks for checking in and providing us with an update.

I hope I'm wrong, but I believe the problems you are finding wrong with the Shift Motor are related to/due to the BIGGER PROBLEMS inside of your Borg-Warner 4405 Transfer Case.

Due to the nature of these (20 year old +) vehicles looking and driving like a tank, the 80 percentile of the owners/soccer moms that drove them did not service the Transfer Case (or Transmission) due to them believing that the vehicle was overbuilt (again - like a Tank) and thus indestructible

To clarify; most owners of these vehicles fell under the category of "what's a transfer case"?

Most didn't follow the maintenance schedule that Transmission & Transfer Case fluids should be changed every 30,000 miles, and that the tires should be rotated every 5,000 miles and kept close to the same tread depth.

The well-known problems that occur within the transfer case due to not following the before-mentioned maintenance schedules are:

* Damaged Shift Fork

* Damaged Range Gear

*Damaged Case - Oblong Holes in the Magnesium Body of the Transfer Case where the Shift Fork is supported and pivots.

YMMV, Good Luck, and keep us in the loop!

Yikes, I believe that. But if I am not getting any result from the switch, but can hear the clicking underneath my car when I do it, wouldn’t this mean it’s failing at the motor? And then the corrosion in the connector? I mean this has to be affecting something stupid for the 4wd lights to be flashing and windows not working at the same time?

@FireFighter209,

Your post #7 indicated that your shift motor has become damaged due to "white flakes" within it.

Add to that the clicking noise (and non-success engagement) you talk about in post #9 when you attempt to activate your shift motor. The "clicking" is the sound of your damaged shift motor which can't overcome what major damage that has more than likely occurred within your improperly maintained transfer case.

Bottom line regarding your Transfer Case at this stage of the discussion; Replace the Transfer Case & Shift Motor Assembly. Seek the assistance of someone within your Fire Dept or better yet, a reputable Transmission Shop that will guarantee their work.

Good Luck!

Back